𝐥𝐯. new years

"What are you so afraid of?"

That question had been replaying in Lyla's mind over and over again for the past few days.

"What are you so afraid of?"

It practically made her want to crawl into a hole and die.

She knew no one had meant no harm by asking the question. It was genuinely a good one, why would she be so afraid?

It's not like Remus was a prick who would play with her feelings or hurt her. He would treat her right and he would be respectful. So why was she so afraid?

Of course, Lyla knew her exact reasons for not wanting to admit her feelings for the boy, but to everyone else, it was a guessing game. It kept them on their toes, on the edge of their seats, waiting. Just waiting.

Waiting for one of them to drop the façade and finally admit how they felt about each other. Waiting for one of them to finally say what they were so afraid of.

Why was Lyla so afraid of falling for Remus, and vice versa?

What had happened that made them so afraid of falling in love?

A question that everyone had, yet no one would know the answer to.

And perhaps that was what made things so interesting for everybody else on the outside.

Watching how things unfolded.

Watching how the lies that Remus and Lyla had came up with to stop themselves from admitting to how they truly felt unravel.

And the lies would unravel eventually, and everything would come crashing down.

☽☽☽

"So what time does this party start?" Marlene asked as she shoved a chocolate chip cookie in her mouth.

"Around nine, at least that's what James said." Lyla responded.

"Ugh, I can't believe this twat convinced me to go to his stupid New Year's party!" Lily groaned as she picked out two dresses from her closet.

Mary sniggered as she said,

"Right, like you totally didn't want to go."

Lily looked at her sharply as a blush slowly started forming across her freckled cheeks.

"Aww you're blushing Lils, that's so adorable!" Lyla cooed.

"Oh shut up Lyla!"

"But which one?" She asked with a sigh.

"Green." All four girls answered simultaneously.

Lily groaned.

"You guys always say green."

"Well yeah, cause you look great in it." Marlene said.

"You really do Lils." Alice agreed.

Lily smiled softly and then looked at the clock.