Chapter 21: The Sea

The venue where the ceremony to award the remaining members of the Survey Corps for their bravery showcased in the Shiganshina battle would take place was crowded. Countless members of the other military departments were there, and I couldn't help but notice how outnumbered we were in comparison.

We stood patiently at a corner we had to ourselves, everyone engaging in small talk to pass the time.

"Here, let me do it for you." I offered to Jean, who had been redoing his coat's buttons for quite some time.

"Thanks..." He awkwardly replied.

"Someone's nervous..." I smiled as I finished buttoning it up.

"Well, if it isn't the great heroes of the walls!" Someone said, and I turned to face Hitch.

"Hitch? I'm surprised you came." Jean told her.

"Well, I just wanted to watch you guys get your medals." She smiled kindly at all of us, who had now devoted our attention to her.

"I see." Jean resumed. "Marlowe was...very brave, to the end."

"I know." Her face assumed a saddened expression, and I felt for her.

"Isn't that right, you two? You should tell her." Jean said to me and Floch, patting our shoulders.

"Even after the commander took a hit, he didn't retreat. He kept going straight forward." I managed to say, not sure how to exactly approach such a sensitive topic.

"She's right. I rode alongside with him, and we both had joined as emergency recruits. Even when our situation was hopeless, he stepped in and encouraged all of us to keep fighting. He was... A great person!" Floch said, print the first time I heard him speak of someone in such positive light.

"I know... That's probably why he never listened to me."

"But in the end, I'm sure he wished he never had volunteered." He coldly said, and I was taken aback; what was he thinking when he said that?

"Thanks for that. I'll laugh if any of you mess up at the ceremony." Hitch quickly bid us goodbye and left, clearly hurt.

"Floch, that was uncalled for." I spoke up sternly, keeping my calmness.

"Hey, why'd you tell her that?" Jean said, though in a much more aggressive manner than what I had.

"Because, somebody has to speak the truth."

An argument then took place; Floch went on about how Erwin should have been the one revived, how the syringe was wasted on Armin, because of Eren's selfishness. And when Jean tried to cool things down between Eren and Floch, the latter attacked him and Connie as well, saying that they both were just bystanders and didn't try to change the Captain's opinion. Armin came to the conclusion that Erwin should have been the one to be saved; Eren disagreed, because according to him, we knew nothing of the future. And if we rode outside the walls, we'd see the sea; something we had only ever imagined.

"On the other side of the wall, freedom is-" Eren excitedly said, but the spark in his eyes was gone in a moment. He froze in place.

"Alright brats, it's time. Line up." The Captain finally came to our side, and we followed him pursuit, lining up to receive our medals.

As Eren was kissing the Queen's hand, he froze yet again, causing Historia to ask him if he was okay. He didn't reply.

-----

A few months had passed, almost a year since the Battle of Trost, and six whole years after the breach of Wall Maria, that the Scouts were finally able to explore the world beyond the walls. Wall Maria had been cleansed of all titans, and thus refugees were permitted to return to their hometown again.