Chapter 22: Her

After getting permission from Commander Hange to take some time off to sort out family matters, I was on my way as soon as the sun rose up to the sky; nervous I was, as it had been four years since I last saw my mother, and I had no idea what her reaction would be to seeing me, now a sixteen year old in her doorstep. I wasn't the little girl she once knew, and it surely wasn't only my appearance that had changed.

It took me a considerable amount of time to get to the forest where my family's cabin was located, since it was quite far from the bustling city of Trost.

As I set foot on the familiar, yet foreign path, I was sooner than later reminded of the atrocities I had commited back when I was not a day over twelve years old. Still, I pushed those thoughts aside, mustered up all the courage I had in my body, and finally knocked on the cabin's door.

What I was greeted with, though, was certainly not what I expected.

"Hello! How can I help you, kid?" A woman, probably in her thirties, said to me as she opened the door. Her clothes were dirty with flour.

"I... This... This was my mother's house... Who are you?" I asked, evidently puzzled. Who was this woman? Where was my mother?

"Oh, you're (M/n)'s daughter?" She said, and it had been years since I heard someone say my mother's name.

"Yeah...where is she?" I confirmed.

"Oh dear, she left for the inner city, about a year ago! She's a noble woman now, engaged to a rich merchant if I recall correctly. Didn't she tell you?" She looked skeptical at me.

"No...I guess that makes sense... I mean I'm in the military and communication has been hard the past years you see. But thank you for the information." I said, disappointment written all over my face.

"Don't mention it, love. Wait, I think she left behind a letter, I've kept it somewhere, give me a minute!" She exclaimed, a sudden burst of emotion once she remembered of the letter's existence.

As she disappeared in the hallway, a little girl and a little boy appeared out of the kitchen; they seemed to be looking at my Cape, which bore the Wings of Freedom crest.

"You are a scout?" The girl almost squealed; she must have been about seven years old.

"Yes, I am." I smiled softly at her. I dusted off my Cape, which I wore over my civilian clothes. Not a regular site for scouts to be spotted without their uniforms, I assumed.

"That's so cool..." The little boy added, but they quickly disappeared once their mom came back.

"Here it is! Tell me if I can do anything else for you." She said as she passed me the letter.

"You've already done enough. Thank you. Have a nice day." I waved at her and her little children who hid behind her skirt, and turned to take my leave.

I sat down on a rock in the forest, skimming through the letter mother had left for me. Trying to find any clues on her whereabouts;

'(Y/n),

It has been a while since we last talked. Forgive me, but you must understand my situation. I still haven't fully recovered from the shock I underwent after that specific incident.

Years have passed, and it has sunken in, that what your father put the three of us through was unbearable. It is not fair for children to have to put up with such behaviour. I'm sorry that you and Henry had to do so for almost all your childhood. I really am. I hope Henry's finally found peace.

As for you, I hope you've found your place in this world as well. That being said, I have not forgiven you, and I do not know whether or not I'll ever be able to do so. I don't hate you, I never did. I apologise if that's what you thought, that day when I yelled at you to flee home.