Chapter 21: Chunnin Exams, The Invasion

(The song for today is "Monster" by Yoasobi!! No more talking, let's go!)

Akali's POV

"Shizumu you ni tokete yuku you ni~"

"Shun."

"Hi Miela. You ready?"

"I don't have a choice now do I?"

I sighed and leaned back on the railing, watching Naruto's character development as he outwits Neji. Surprisingly, it isn't as boring listening to these boys argue about their ideals as I thought it would.

Another sigh.

"I still have to do something. Go tend to your teammates. They look murderous."

I said before disappearing behind the large crowd that watched the fight. Honestly? I'm scared. Every inch of my being is shaking in nervousness because of the unknown. Why do I need to be scared? It's not like I can choose to ignore what's inevitable. I can only hope for my survival.

~Flashback~

I sighed. The three were at it again for the hundredth time. Are they not tired of fighting each other?

"Can we ignore them for a second and talk about what you guys achieved for the past month?"

Junko sighed, clearly irritated at the three. Shun smiled apologetically.

"No need. I trust that you two can handle yourselves. The problem are your teammates."

"Yeah. They'd sure be suspicious if I suddenly side with you, since this is our village's invasion and all."

"I agree. Even though we're here to help you, it'll be your entire decision on whom you'll help."

I sat in silence. Indeed I'm going to do all the work since I know Junko will prioritize getting away safely with her teammates, and Shun is supposed to attack any Konoha citizen or ninja he sees. Ah what a pain.

My fingers subconsciously combed ny hair yet again, tugging every now and then to prevent me from getting lost in my thoughts.

"Seems like I have no choice. We're going to start planning about what exactly are we going to do just as the invasion breaks."

"Now here's the plan, Junko you and your team should leave just as the invasion starts so you can cover as much ground as possible. I'll be taking care of the other Kumo nin that came with you."

The red head nodded, although hesitation was clear in her eyes. With knuckles clenched tight, she said

"I.... I wanted to help you fight.....but Yashichi and Midoriko......"

"It's okay Junko. I know we'll be able to fight side to side one day. But this is an important event. If we die here out of carelessness, we won't be able to live again. Remember what we're here for."

I uttered, spiteful. Shooting the gods a dirty look for a brief second which didn't go unnoticed.

The shark god who saw gave his infamous sharp smile.

"Shun. If you could, lessen the number of your kills. Or better yet, don't kill at all."

"You know I can't kill Miela."