Chapter 17 - Red riding hood and the big bad wolf

"I guess to them it's a terrifying thought, a red riding hood who knew exactly what she was doing when she invited the wolf in."

***************

Natalie's POV

He is here. Right here. Right in front of me.

He came to see me first.

He came to see me for god's sake!

Oh dear lord, can it be that my biggest crush ever is crushing back on me? Does that ever happen?

His eyes, that deep green I wanna lay in for so long stared back at me with so much tenderness, like he really missed me, like he is trying to take into every detail there is on my face before he would have to leave again.

Oh, he is leaving again...

"So, what brings you back here, not that I am complaining or anything," I asked, both curious and praying it's something that would keep him here for as long as possible.

My question had the look in his eyes shift and he shook his head, "Just work," He answered, just as vague as usual.

My eyebrow raised, "Work?" I gave him a knowing look, "I know your work," I mimicked loading a gun with my fingers and pointed it at him, squinting an eye as if I am shooting, referring to his...work.

My childish behavior had his lips twitch, fighting his own smile and he gave me a low shrug, "Something like that," He said before his gaze drifted to the phone in his hand when it made a low buzz sound.

His eyebrows pulled closer before he gave me his attention again, "Anyway, I should go now."

My eyes widened, "Wait, what?" I said, taking a step forward, "You just got here!"

Try to sound less desperate, Jesus Nate!

He nodded, acknowledging the fact, "I just wanted to check up on you."

"Well, you didn't check up on me yet," I stated, raising my hands in frustration, "I might not be okay, you know."

Sometimes I think he doesn't get my sarcasm, because his eyebrows pulled closer, "Why?" He asked, a bit of worry laced in his tone as he edged forward, "Are you not?"

I flashed him a smile, taking my chances, "I will be if you join me for dinner," I almost winced at the words after they left my mouth and I pressed a hand to my forehead, "Sorry, that was my lame attempt at flirting."

Amusement flared in his eyes and I pulled on the cutest, most innocent look, trying to get past all of his grumpiness, "Will you?" I asked, "Just dinner, at my house, I can make something quick," I licked my lips, waiting in anticipation, hoping he won't let me down, "Also, don't you wanna pick up your car?"

"I took good care of it," I added, reasoning with him and he nodded, "I am sure you did, but I don't need it now, you can keep it."

My eyebrows pulled closer, "So, you are refusing my offer still?" I asked with a sad disappointed tone and he rubbed a hand at the back of his neck, his eyes drifted away, hesitant at first, and something holding him back.

"I know I scared you off when I immediately jumped on you when you got here," I added, playfully addressing my little embarrassment, "But I promise I won't attack you again, it's just an innocent dinner."

He gave up to my desperate attempts, his green eyes that I've been dreaming about more than I should glinted in amusement as he watched me all needy for him and he nodded his head, "Dinner it is," He said, "Let's go."