Chapter 47 - I am not a warrior

"Have you ever seen the hell in someone's eyes and loved it anyway."

*************

Nikolas's POV

The world was always a blur of colors and sounds to me, a whirlwind of chaos and confusion. It was a symphony of noise, a cacophony of clashing voices, each clamoring for attention and recognition.

Until recently, until a certain woman walked into my life, or maybe I am the one who barged into hers like a raging storm, carrying with me a vortex of trouble and darkness that keeps threatening to drown us both. My problems were like a hurricane, tearing through everything in my path and leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. But Natalie, she stood and is still standing strong by my side, a steady rock in the midst of the swirling sea, weathering this heavy storm with me.

I leaned against the doorframe and watched her up close, delighted at how happy and giddy she seemed to be as she played and talked with Nathan. Everything else faded away in her presence. The noise of the world fell to a hush, and the colors of it dimmed until there was only her, and the light she had brought into my grim world.

I knew that she was the one missing piece of my puzzle, the one that completed me in a way that I had never known was possible. Her beauty and delicateness were like a beacon, guiding me through the storm, and leading me to a place of peace and serenity.

Nathan smiled at something she said and her expression involuntarily shifted into a somber one, her head tilted slightly and she gazed at him with a longing look, like she wished she could turn back time, that she could change fate and not have their family break apart the way they did. Many thoughts clouded her mind, strong waves clashing together into the silent ocean of her eyes, saddening them with what could've been and what she won't be able to get back.

She shook her head, pushing the sadness away and her lips tilted up into a smile, her eyes misty with a hundred different emotions as she brought her hand up, brushing the few strands of his hair away, tenderly caressing his cheek as she resumed talking with him, deciding to focus on the present and on the fact that he is right here, with her, safe and alive.

The sound of the bell ringing had Natalie's eyes drift up, away from the kid and to me, her eyebrows slightly pulled closer, questioning who'd come here when no one knew that here even existed. I gave her an assuring nod that it was nothing important. I walked out of the room and toward the door. I opened it and my eyes fell on Ronald...like I said, nothing important.

His eyes drifted behind me, confused at what this place was, "Why did you call me here?" He asked, his eyes falling back on mine, slightly curious, "What is this place, anyway?" He asked and his eyebrows pulled closer when he heard Natalie's voice coming from inside, "Is Nate in here too?" He was about to step inside but my hand shot out, my palm pressing into his chest, pushing him backward and keeping him in his place.

His eyes fell into my hand before they went up to me, and his eyebrow raised, questioning my hostility when I was the one to ask him to come here in the first place, "Look, I am only letting you in on this because Natalie wants it, so be careful," I warned, more like threatened, "If you dare do anything behind my back, if you mention this to anyone," My head inched closer, hissing the words in his face, "I will fucking kill you, and believe me no one, not even Natalie would stop me from doing it, you get that?"

Each word deepened the frown pulling between his eyebrows, unable to understand what could be so big. I let my hand drop away now that I made my point clear and gave him space to step inside, "And here I thought we were slowly becoming friends," He mumbled with a low mocking tone as he walked inside, earning another glare from my side, which had him roll his eyes in return.