Chapter 53 - A Little bit more

"Your name is humming inside my chest. I think that is what it means to love. I think this is what it means to be living."

**************

Nikolas's POV

"You're sure you're okay?" I inquired once again, the concern evident in my voice.

Natalie, however, responded with a frustrated eye roll, "Yes, yes, I am," She retorted, gently pushing me away and getting up to her feet, "Stop pampering me, I'm fine," She insisted, gesturing at herself from head to toe, "See, I am all perfect and still in one piece."

Reluctantly, I rose to my feet, trailing after her as she made her way to the kitchen. She let out an exasperated sigh when she noticed my persistence to follow her every move, "Still, you need to rest," I reminded her, my tone tinged with worry still, "The doctor said you could have a concussion."

Ignoring my advice, she busied herself with the teapot, preparing some of the disgusting tea she loved, "I know," She conceded, "But I'm feeling great, so stop being so annoying." She shot me an irritated look, silently imploring me to give her some space.

Leaning against the door frame with crossed arms, I observed her every move. My concern lingered, unable to shake the fear that she might just collapse at any moment, a constant reminder of my failure to keep her safe.

She stood by the stove, anxiously tapping her fingers on the concrete surface as she waited for the tea to be ready. Eventually, she turned to face me, the worry in her voice and expression was evident as she asked with a soft tone, "How's Gregory?"

A heavy sigh escaped my lips,  "He is getting better," I said, uncrossing my arms and edging closer to her.

Her shoulders slumped as she exhaled, a mix of relief and guilt in her demeanor. "He's a nice guy," She murmured regretfully, her voice tight with sorrow, "I feel so bad, he was just trying to protect me."

I moved closer to her, my hands resting gently on her waist as I stood behind her. Lowering my head, I placed a soft kiss on the side of her neck. "You didn't do anything wrong, Nate," I whispered, my arms encircling her waist, pulling her into my chest. She leaned back into me, closing her eyes, and I continued, "It's his job."

We stood there for a moment, her body melded with mine, seeking comfort in my embrace. She finally spoke softly, her words heavy with sadness, "It's a sucky job, then."

I pressed my chin over the top of her head, my eyelids dropping down as I took into her delicate scent, "I know but if anything would've happened to you," I whispered, unable to imagine that scenario, unable to conjure up a parallel reality where she would be hurt, where I would lose her.

It feels almost impossible, for me to function without her anymore, for my lungs to breathe without having her sweet scent surrounding me, for my heart to beat if she wasn't pressed this close to it, for my mind to stay in control and for my monsters to be tucked away if I didn't hear her soft voice every day.

"I don't know what I would've done," I whispered, "I don't know if I would've been able to survive such a life." It feels impossible.

She brought her hand and rested it over mine, "Don't say that," She mumbled with an unknown shade of melancholy in her words. She moved around in my embrace in order to face me. She titled her head up, looking at me, almost in the same way I look at her; like I am carrying the whole world's weight over my shoulders, "I am not your whole world, Nikolas," She said, bringing her hand up and brushing my cheek, "You can't think like that."