Chapter 42 - Mr. Right/ Mr. Wrong

"Sometimes the people we love the most are the ones we are best without."

*************

Nikolas's POV

"Hey, what's up?" Alex said, more cheerful than I'd prefer at this time as he pushed past me and walked inside the house.

A low sigh parted my lips, my shoulders slumping down as I closed the door, turned around, and followed him to the kitchen. He opened the fridge and rampaged through it, just being his usual self so I ignored him and sat back on the chair, trying to kick myself awake after another night of restless sleep.

To add to that, when I was about to take my pills this morning and relief some of the stress away, I noticed that they were all finished, so I am a bit on edge. Hopefully, I won't kill anyone till I get new ones.

My elbow rested over the table and I leaned my forehead into my palm, my eyelids dropping down in tiredness, "Oh, you bought me apples," I heard Alex say as he closed the fridge. His footsteps got closer and I opened my eyes, watching him take a seat next to me, "Thanks," he mumbled as he took his first bite.

I didn't react to anything he said or did. So, he eyed me with wary eyes as he munched on his fruit. He didn't question my grumpy state, he was just so used to it by now. His eyes flickered from me to the fresh cup of coffee placed on the table just right next to me. I understood his intentions and tried to reach for it but he went faster and snatched it away.

He threw me a wink as he took his first sip from my fucking cup. My jaw ticked, one day soon, I will beat him for this behavior, just not today. Because if I start with him while I am in this state, things won't end well.

He looked at me from up to down, "You didn't go jogging today?" He asked, casually taking another bite of his apple.

I shook my head. I don't plan to, I don't have the energy for it anyway.

My eyes took notice of his more formal attire and before I could speak, he said while looking down at himself, "Hey, I know I look hot in a suit, you don't have to check me out like that."

I rolled my eyes and even though I didn't ask, he kept talking, "I was on my way to work but I wanted to check something with you first," He took another sip of my coffee, "Did you speak with Emma?"

I rushed a hand over my face and leaned back into my seat, "No, I tried to call her yesterday but couldn't reach her," I answered and Alex's eyebrows pulled closer in confusion, "Oh, so you don't...know?"

"Know what?"

He studied my face for a couple of seconds, "I spoke with Roman this morning," He started to say, "They were kind of attacked, well Emma was," His words shook me awake right away and I leaned forward in my seat, my eyes growing wide in shock, "What do you mean by attacked?"

He shook his head, "He didn't tell me the details that's why I came to you to learn what happened," He mumbled and I was already dialing her again.

"Is she okay now?" I asked as a weird sense of worry rushed over my chest. I know that Emma can take care of herself in that sense but still...last time she lost her baby and I don't want to see her in that state ever again.

He nodded, "Yeah Roman said she is recovering," He said and the line went dead. Why wasn't she picking up my calls for fucks sake? I dialed Roman this time and thankfully he answered, "He-"

"Where is Emma?" I shot right away, interrupting his words.

"She is sleeping right now," He answered.