Chapter 28 | From Mundane to Hero - Part 1

Holding her hand now felt so soothing to you. Despite the thoughts running through your head, as you touched her hand lightly, something deep within you knew the answer. You would have been happy, very happy. You felt yourself grow drowsy and rested your head next to her hand, giving it a soft kiss. You weren't sure what was coming over you. Perhaps it was the lack of sleep and the stress of everything going on draining you, but you felt so drained. You weren't really fighting your needs or wants in this moment. You turned your head to glance at the door before looking back toward Miku's sleeping form. You knew from before that you could safely sleep with Miku, and you felt so tempted in this moment to indulge in that.

You inhaled her soft beautiful scent and made your mind up quickly as you slipped your slippers off and moved next to her on top of the sheets. You slowly unbraided her hair as you ran your hands softly through it to the ends. Your arms naturally wrapped around her as you pulled her closer in the tiny bed, your head nuzzling into the crook of her neck. The soft brush of her hair across your skin and her sweet smell were intoxicating and inviting.

"Oh what do you do to me, Miku-chan..." You breathed out softly as you kissed her collarbone softly. "I hate you... but I don't..." You spoke softly again, feeling your eyelids fall heavily. Quietly and quickly you soon began to doze. You hadn't realized in your sleeping state that Miku had heard your whispered words as she began to stir, or that she had smiled down at you, snuggling back into you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Miku's POV

It was a long time you spent in the hospital recovering from your injuries, but when it was finally time to leave the hospital with Tsunade, you were disappointed at not seeing a familiar face. He had come every so often late in the evening when he thought you were fast asleep to spend time with you. It really made your heart leap at the thought that he might actually feel something for you still like you always felt for him. You both loved each other once, you knew you always did but maybe now he might feel the same again. He used to hate you, making it so painfully obvious. But his soft and tender gestures at his visits when he felt like no one was watching him gave away a different side of him. It made you so full of hope. But the disappointment in leaving the hospital without seeing him was heavy to deal with.

Maybe he didn't know you were leaving? Or would he even show his face this early in the day? But things weren't going to be like how they used to be. You were leaving with Tsunade, away from Suna once more, to train exclusively. You wondered where you would wind up it and if you might ever find yourself crossing paths again. As you began to exit the Suna gates you sighed and looked up at Tsunade.

"It's okay kid, he'll come around some day. We have bigger things to focus on now," She said with a smirk, although you could feel the empathy in your tone. You knew your training and your fake death also meant that Tsunade would be away from Kakashi who she felt similarly toward. It hurt you to know that your entwined futures would hurt her in the end as well.

As you reached the threshold you heard a soft voice calling from behind you. You turned slowly to glance, squinting at glare from the sun to try to catch a glimpse of the voice's origin. You raised a hand to shield your eyes before the sight of Temari and Kankuro quickly jogging in your direction became visible through the glare. A crooked smile formed across your face as you let your hand down and gave it a friendly wave in their direction.

"Hey!" You greeted back as you and Tsunade paused.

Temari and Kankuro stopped abruptly in front of you, panting from their evidently hauling-ass to get to you.

"Did you run a marathon?" You joked as you patted them both on that back. A slight warm breeze causing your long hair to dance happily around your face.