Kakashi's S/o Dies

Thank you! Hard to believe I'm someone's favorite though haha

(Warnings: character death)

"Kakashi, I have to get going

"Kakashi, I have to get going."

Laughter filled the room as Kakashi held you tighter against him, peppering kisses along your exposed skin. He stopped once you turned around, his smile lighting up his face as he looked at you.

"How long before you have to leave?"

"Two minutes or so."

Kakashi shrugged, "That's plenty of time."

His hands gently cupped your cheeks, lips pressed against your own like it was the first time he'd gotten to feeling you against him. You sighed against his lips, noses brushing against each other before you pulled away.

"As enjoyable as that way, Kakashi, I really do have to go."

"I know, just hate saying goodbye to you."

You smiled, "Then don't say goodbye, just say 'see you later'."

He nodded, giving you a small peck before letting you go, "Be safe, okay?"

"Always am. I'll be back soon."

Only, you weren't.

Kakashi waited patiently as the days went by. The mission you were on was only supposed to take three days, four at the most. Unless the worst happened, you would be home at any moment. When you didn't show up, he did his best not to panic. Your team could've stayed at an inn for the night, someone could've been injured. He didn't know - he wasn't there.

It was the next morning when he got his answer. One of your teammates showed up at your shared apartment early in the morning. Kakashi was surprised to see them, a feeling growing in the pit of his stomach. If you weren't here to greet him, you were either in the hospital, or much worse.

"I'm glad to see you made it back safely, but, where is-"

He trailed off once he saw the look on your teammate's face. He knew that look all too well. The dark feeling only grew at each passing word.

"Lady Fifth was going to bring you in, but I told her it was my responsibility. Seeing as what happened was my fault. We were resting, and it was my turn to watch for anyone passing by. I didn't hear the enemy until it was too late. [Y/N] died protecting us all."

Kakashi was stunned, processing the words over and over again. He felt his heart sink, practically feeling it tear in two.

"When is the funeral?"

"Two days from now."

He nodded, thanking your teammate before shutting the door. He barely took a step before crumbling to the floor, grief overcoming him. The space around felt too empty, as yet the person he loved was gone once again.