Kakashi Hatake | Scared, But True

Pairing: Kakashi Hatake x F!Reader
Warnings: language, slight angst
Word Count: 1.3k

You didn't know everything Kakashi had been through

You didn't know everything Kakashi had been through. He told how he lost people - his father included - most of them at a young age. It was one of the reasons he kept you at arms length once he realized his feelings towards you. After a long talk, he confessed, and the two of you have been happily together since.

The past few months with Kakashi have been your favorite. He was everything you could have wanted. When he wasn't busy going on missions or training Team 7, almost all of his free time was spent with you. He planned the most fantastic dates - sometimes taking inspiration from Icha Icha. Even if you weren't a fan of the series, you appreciated how much he tried.

Some of your favorite moments with him were spent in his bed, limbs tangled together as his lips molded perfectly with yours. His forehead pressed against yours once you pulled away to catch your breath.

"You always know how to take my breath away, 'Kashi."

You always found the pink tinting his cheeks was one of the cutest things.

It was a little after your forth month with Kakashi you noticed he was starting to get distance. He always brushed you off when you tried to express your concern. Kakashi hated the hurt look on your face, but his nerves always got the better of him.

When he and the kids returned from a mission, he was surprised to see you weren't there waiting for him. He frowned, knowing if he didn't talk to you soon, he'd end up losing you forever.

After turning in his report, he made his way to your home. He wanted to walk right in, hold you in his arms but knew with how he was treating you lately it wasn't a good idea. He waited for you to answer after knocking. A smile tugged on his lips when you opened the door.

"Yo."

"Kakashi, when did you get back?"

"A little while ago." He placed a hand on your shoulder. "I uh, I'm sorry for how I've been acting. Can I take you on a date so I can explain myself?"

"I don't know, Kakashi. I'm kind of busy."

There was that look on your face again. The one so full of hurt that Kakashi hate that he out there. He fingers trailed down your arm, taking your hand in his gently.

"Please? Let me make things up to you, [Y/N]."

You nodded, feeling his hand squeeze yours softly. As upset as you were, you could see he was trying.

"Yeah, okay. When do you want to go?"

"I have to pick up a few things but I'll come get you around six. Is that a good time for you?"

"Yeah, that's fine. I'll be ready."

Kakashi nodded, turning away. He only stopped when you reached out, grabbing onto his arm. His eyes widened as you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him into a hug.

"I'm glad you returned safe."

Kakashi didn't say anything, just held you tightly in his arms.

-

You were just starting to get ready when Kakashi opened your front door. He called out to you, surprised to see you rushing down the hall in a towel. You peaked your head around the corner, a bashful smile pulled at your lips.

"I'm sorry, 'Kashi. I took a quick nap but it ended up being longer then it should have. I'll be ready in a few minutes."

"Take your time."

Your eyes roamed his figure quickly as you smiled to yourself. Kakashi in his regular clothes was quite a sight. Once ready, you made your way over to him. Kakashi smiled as he looked over you.

"You always manage to look so gorgeous."

"So don't you, Kakashi."

Kakashi chuckled, pulling you in for a quick kiss before leading you out the door.

Your walk took you to the top of the Hokage Monument. Kakashi had set up a small picnic, a blanket laid out on the ground with a small meal waiting to be eaten.

"Kakashi, what's all this?"

"I wanted to cook for you, but I also wanted to do something romantic. I figured sitting in the moonlight was good enough for both. Here, have a seat."

Kakashi sat beside you, serving up the food. You thanked him, eating quickly. You always enjoyed when Kakashi cooked for you. It always tasted better when it came from him.

After you finished, Kakashi placed everything away before turning toward you. His hands gently placed over yours. He sighed, playing with your fingers.

"I'm sorry, I know I've been hurting you. You know that's the last thing I want to do."

"I just want you to talk to me. If I did something to upset you, I want you to tell me."

Kakashi sat up, slightly panicked, "No, what? Baby, you didn't do anything. I swear."

"Then what's going on, Kakashi? Because honestly it feels like you're trying to push me away. Do you want to be with me anymore?"

His eyes widened, "What? Of course I do! Is that really how you've been feeling?"

You nodded, "I understand you've had some problems in the past, Kakashi, but every time I try to talk to you, you end up pushing me away. What am I supposed to think?"

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean- I never want you to feel that way. Fuck, I'm an idiot. Listen, this is what I wanted to tell you."

He went into full detail about his childhood, his time with Rin, Obito, and Minato. How he watched Rin die by his hand.

"I cared for Rin deeply. I mean, you've been there when I've had my nightmares, you know how bad they can get. You should've seen how horrible it was when I was a kid." He cleared his throat, "How I feel about you - it scares me. I never expected to have someone so close again. To feel like this. I'm not good at this, and I guess that's why I've been keeping you at arms length."

Tears stung your eyes, hearing him being so open about his past. The vulnerability in his voice was something you haven't heard before.

"Kakashi, I- I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

Kakashi smiled, even if it was a little forced, "I thought I was the one apologizing here."

"Still, no one should have to go through that."

He nodded, "We're getting off track here. There's a reason I brought you out here."

"And what would that be?"

Kakashi held you close, your hand resting against his chest as he kissed you. You were sure your knees would buckle beneath you if you were standing.

"I brought you out here to tell you I love you."

"You what?"

Kakashi laughed, "You heard me; I love you. I guess I was keeping you at a distance because I was scared. I haven't felt like this for a long time, and the feelings just hit me so fast I didn't know what to do. But now that it's out in the open, I want to tell you every chance I can."

Tears fell at his confession, "I love you, too, Kakashi. With every ounce of my being."

Kakashi just smiled, pulling you in for another kiss, "Say it again, please."

You did; words spilling from your lips as you spoke of all the things you loved about him. The smile never leaving your lips as he did the same.