what jennie wants part 1

"I'm coming over to Mom's this weekend, do you wanna-"

"Doc? Your next patient is already here—oh, I'm sorry," Winter apologized seeing that I am on my phone now. She's a nurse in this hospital.

I lifted my face from the clipboard I'm holding, phone in between my face and shoulder, then smiled at her gently, "It's alright. Let Ms. Bae in my office and tell her I'll be there in a minute."

She nodded her head and left. I checked the time on my wristwatch, holding my phone against my ear. "Hey, sorry what was that again?"

Jennie sighed on the other end of the line. "It's my father's third death anniversary this weekend, remember? I'm planning on spending it with Mom."

I rubbed my temples with one hand. I nearly forgot about that, now I have to clear my schedule for this weekend.

"Yeah, of course I'll be with you. I'll see you at home tonight, alright? It's a really hectic day so don't wait for me anymore, I might be home late."

"Okay. I love you."

"Me too," I replied, heading back to my office in a rush. I always stay late at the hospital, but tonight I stayed much later than usual just to finish some papers that I'll have to deal with supposedly this long weekend. I couldn't finish them tonight so I'll have to work overtime next Monday too.

Hospital staffs greeted me as I made my way out. In my line of work, I am heavily respected. I'm also a candidate for the director position so I needed to work extra hard these days.

I was beyond exhausted by the time I got home at 1 in the morning. Like I expected, Jennie's already fast asleep. She's on her side of the bed, her arms wrapped around a bear stuffed toy that I gave her randomly on our first year together. I can only see her because of the mini lamp on the bedside table. While unbuttoning the wrist of my shirt, I slowly sat beside her and stared at her peaceful face.

My girlfriend is a teacher. What I love about her is her passion for everything she does. Her pay isn't that good, but she loves teaching kids. I'm really glad I can support her by simply having her move in with me, not wanting her to waste her salary on an apartment that she wouldn't even get to sleep at for most days of the week since I love to have her in my arms every night I sleep. She's been staying in my place for three years now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Carefully, I raised the blanket resting on her hips to cover her upper half as well, and in the process she stirred and her eyes fluttered open.

"What time is it?" she rubs her eyes, her voice tiny and sleepy.

I brushed her hair with my fingers, "It's past one. Go back to sleep."

"Did you skip dinner again?" she managed to ask before drifting back to sleep.

"I'm tired," I responded, standing up.

"I saved you dinner," she tries again. I really love her cooking but there are times that I'd really just rather sleep.

"Goodnight," I bent to kiss her forehead. She didn't say a word and by the time I slipped under the covers, she's already fast asleep.

The next morning, she was up early. My alarm went off at 7 AM. I groaned, shut it off, and went back to sleep.

It was only a matter of minutes before I heard the door crack open, Jennie's fresh from the shower scent filling my senses.

"Lisa get up, we need to be heading over Mom's in a few," she sounds like she's in a hurry.

I stretched my limbs, yawning. It's a Friday and we'll be away until Sunday night. It's been so long since I've had my weekend free, and now I can finally spend some time with her. It's summer too so she doesn't have classes. I removed myself from the bed and stood behind her. She's busy looking through the closet while a piece of towel hugs her curves, her hair wet and dangling on her shoulders.