surrender

L.

"How did we end up like this, Jennie?"

"Two years, Jen. It took me two years. I managed to get by every single day without you, then you show up one day then fuck, I crumble down all over again."

"Like it was just yesterday when I lost you."

-

"So," Cess shook her head at me while wiping her mouth with a table napkin, "You drunk called your ex after seeing her for the first time in two years, when you're supposed to be work colleagues starting tomorrow?"

I nodded, sighing.

"You're such an idiot."

"I know."

"So you don't know if she's single or if she has a boyfriend or... married?"

"No," I bit the insides of my cheek, suddenly losing my appetite.

What if she's already married?

"I can't believe you still have feelings for her after everything," she musses without any taste of bitterness in it.

When Jennie and I broke up, Cess and I became together for a while but we broke up because she felt like I was making her a rebound. I was such an ass for not realizing it myself and for hurting her, but thankfully we managed to be friends again after being awkward around each other for the first few weeks since our break-up.

Now, I'm just happy for her because she's found someone to spend the rest of her life with. They're getting married soon.

"Maybe you needed closure, or anything just to make sure you're not passing up an opportunity that you might regret... because the way I see it, there's a reason why you found her again."

-

"I heard her voice, it's just as sexy as I imagined it would be."

"Definitely my type, man."

"Does she have a boyfriend?"

"I need to know too."

I slammed the stacks of paper I was carrying to a table, immediately shutting all the whispering that I have arrived on. I had a meeting outside with some clients so I wasn't there when she entered the building. I still haven't seen her since the window blinds were on, but judging from the buzz of everyone, I know she's made some kind of impression already.

I clicked my tongue, eyeing everyone who were slacking off work especially those men who were talking about Jennie. They quickly went their own ways and avoided eye contact with me.

The employees under me and even those on the higher ranks know how strict I am when it comes to work but shit, today I can feel my knees buckling whenever I come across her office.

I even opened the window blinds of my office so I can see if she went out, but it's already past lunch time and she hasn't come out yet, while most of our employees were still out. Some employees, even our boss, Ed, even went inside her office. I'm guessing Ed invited her out with some colleagues for lunch because he asked me himself too, but I declined saying I still have a lot of work to do.