Ch. 8- Where I Want To Be

The Present, Ten Years Later (2021)

"What time will you be out of your last class tomorrow?" Yoongi asks me as he eats his gyro sandwich across from me at my desk, in my office. He is in town for a while after traveling a lot for his job as an engineering program manager. I'm grateful I had time to spare for lunch.

"I only have my game theory class that ends at 1pm but I was going to work on research and catch up on some emails," I inform him, following it with shoveling a forkful of Greek chicken salad into my mouth.

"Game theory? If I was a student in your class, I wouldn't be able to focus," he says matter-of-factly.

"What are you talking about?" I furrow my brows at him.

"I can just picture a bunch of nerdy college guys lusting after you, their math professor, who looks more like a fucking model!" He shrugs then grabs his gyro to take another bite.

I shake my head and I just can't help but laugh at my best friend.

"You're a riot, Yoongi! I missed you, you know that?" I grin at him.

"Oh, I know, and I missed you, too! I love traveling for my job, but it's nice to be back home," he flashes his gummy smile at me.

"Anyway, I think I'll be out of the office around 6pm, tomorrow. What did you have in mind, Yoongz?!"

"Just checking to see if you wanted to go out to dinner with me and Tom. Tom misses you! And, see if Jenna is free, too!" He tells me as he scarfs down the rest of his gyro.

"Aw, I miss Tom, too. Well, I'll call Jenna later and hopefully she can join us. I'll definitely make sure I'll meet up with you and Tom!" I reply to him, excited for the new plans.

Yoongi and Tom got married two years ago. Out of all my friends, Yoongi was the last person I would have expected to get married. The man was so promiscuous and commitment-phobic when we were growing up, so when he met Tom and fell in love, it was totally unexpected. But, they seem like the perfect match. Not only that, but I adore Tom so much and appreciate how they treat and unconditionally love each other. I also consider him as much of a brother as I do Yoongi.

Because Yoongi's company has him travel a lot, there are times that Tom and I keep each other company and I love my time with him. Though, I've picked up a load of work this semester, which has caused me not to see Tom as often as possible. Hence, why I'm excited for a little night of fun with friends tomorrow.

On top of the courses I teach, I have my research work, office hours, papers and tests to grade and tons of meetings. But, I can't complain because I love being constantly busy. And, I love being part of the Mathematics and Economics department of UCLA.

After I received my bachelors degree in Mathematics and Economics in 2014, I was lucky enough to be accepted in UC Berkeley's master's program. During my second year of my Master's program, I started looking for assistant professor positions.

Jenna had suggested I look into colleges in Southern California and I wanted to welcome a change in location, so I listened to her. I was even more sold on the fact that she wanted to live together, and I knew that would help me having someone close by while I establish myself as an academic. After I received my masters, I became an assistant professor teaching in UCLA. I've been part of the faculty since 2017 and it's been quite the ride.