Ch. 14- Giving Into the Best Friend's Plans

Y/N's 1st Person POV

"No fucking way! He just said that?!" Jenna says, with a shocked tone as she and I are both pedaling on ellipticals next to each other at the gym. It's early Saturday morning, and it's not as busy at the current moment.

We've been working out for some time on the elliptical machines while I filled in Jenna on the conversation Jin and I had in his office yesterday. And, I just got to the part in the end when he revealed that the feelings I had for him I thought weren't reciprocated, were, in fact reciprocated.

"His exact words were, 'You said you loved me that night. The feelings weren't unrequited, I just want you to know,' and he also said he was just scared at the time," I play back his words to my best girl. I kept playing those words over and over in my head, myself yesterday, when I sat in my office after talking to Jin.

"SCARED?! He was scared, so, he just decides to not explain shit, back then, and disappears from your life! What a fucking coward!" Jenna sounds outraged for the both of us.

"I mean, he was younger then. We didn't all make the wisest decisions when we were younger. Plus, he did mention how he was going through shit with his family. I imagine the divorce was an ugly mess he had to be a part of. I can't imagine him having to see his parents, who he thought really cared for each other, fall apart because of his dad's indiscretions. He was afraid that if he ever was in a relationship, he'd turn into his dad." I speak out my thoughts as I start to pedal backwards on the machine I'm on.

"He still could've handled it much differently! He basically admitted he loved you back then! He didn't care that he left you with unanswered questions all these years. He made you not trust yourself in other relationships," she voices out.

"That experience definitely affected me, but now I can move forward," I say, trying to be positive.

"If I were you, I probably wouldn't have justified Jin's actions so quickly, but I guess it's all in the past and all you can really do is moved forward. But, if he does anything to piss you off while you two work together, I will kick his ass! I don't care that he's an old friend of mine. He broke your heart and you're like my sister." She looks over to me and flashes me a smirk.

"And, that's why you're the best! You always have my back!" I flash her back a similar smirk.

Jenna and I change the subject to plans for the rest of the weekend, her and Hoseok and crazy work stories she has from the past week. And we eventually slow down our elliptical workout. As we are in cool down mode, going at a more leisurely pace, Jenna and I are both looking through social media on our phones.

I decide to check Instagram stories and when I get to Jeongguk's stories, I see pictures and videos of him with crew that he works with. One image that pops up is an image of him and his assistant, Cassie, in a cute selca.  She started working for him over two years ago.

Cassie is a stunner, and I do know that Jeongguk and her have hooked up. He doesn't hide these things from me since we aren't serious. He's always been open with me, and vice versa. Of course, I was initially jealous to hear about Cassie, but I'm only human. In the end, I accept that he's free to do what he pleases.

He did mention that it's only happened once with Cassie and that he hasn't let it continue but I'm not convinced. I told him he doesn't have to feel guilty if anything is still happening between him and Cassie, but he just seems to want me to know that he has no interest in keeping it going on with her.

Looking at the selca...well, how can he not resist her? And, it's not just her beauty- I've met her, and she's actually an interesting and captivating person to be around. Why he says he has no interest in her makes no sense to me.

"What are you looking at?!" Jenna asks as she snoops. And, the sneaky girl grabs my phone from me. She sees that I'm on Jeongguk's Instagram stories. She plays them back and the selfie of him and Cassie also catches her attention.

"Y/N, you're so much better than her, don't even start putting yourself down," she bluntly says. It's like she can read my mind. I can't help but compare myself to others, and Cassie just seems perfect. And, I'm just a nerdy, lowly college professor teaching math and economics.

"I'm not! And, he's free to do whoever he wants," I try to sound unbothered. Jenna just rolls her eyes at me. Then all of a sudden, her expression changes to one of someone who just hatched a bright idea in their mind.

"If Jeongguk is gallivanting all around Prague with his assistant, why don't you go on a date?! Please let me still try and fix you up with Hoseok's hot coworker!" Her eyes brighten with hope, as she stares at me for a reaction.

"I don't want to go an a date, Jenna!" I whine out.

"Oh come on! He's really sweet, quite the charmer, brainy, just how you like them, and oh-so-nice to look at!" She tries to sell off this guy's qualities to me.

"What's his name?" I skeptically question her.

"Vernon!" She enthusiastically answers.

"Interesting name," I say with less energy than Jenna.

"He's an interesting man, Y/N! Come on!" She looks at me with pleading eyes. I look away from her and back at my phone.

I go through Jeongguk's Instagram stories again, because I'm a glutton for punishment. I look over that picture of him and Cassie one more time. Then, I think of the torture of seeing Jin's stupidly perfect face around campus on a regular basis.

"Fuck it, you can fix me up!" I surrender to my best friend/ matchmaker.

"Hell yes! I'll see when both Hoseok and Vernon are free! We can do a a double date," Jenna says, excitedly.

"Yay," I say in a not-so-sincere cheerful tone.

Dating is not my comfort zone, but at least Jenna and Hoseok will be there if it's a double date.

🤍

*********
A/N:

Hi, Worldwide Cuties!😘🌹

Yes, Vernon from Seventeen. You can totally picture someone else, but he is who I have in mind!

 You can totally picture someone else, but he is who I have in mind!

Thanks for your support by continuing to read my story!

💋
-MissD