Chapter Sixty-Six - and it begins

I groaned opening my eyes, my head pounding as I rolled out of bed and quickly hopped into the shower, keeping it short and simple as I washed my hair and my body.

I walked out my towel wrapped around me I ran my hand through my hair and sat down at the dressing table, my elbows resting on the side as I held my head in my hands. I looked in the mirror as I saw Brand still fast asleep on the bed and I moved  quietly around the room, getting ready.

I hadn't slept well at all last night, which was to be expected. The constant words of the prophecy were attacking my mind and I had just tossed and turned the entire evening, the effect of that showing clearly under my eyes, I looked awful.

I quietly sat back down in front of the mirror as I brushed my hair, trying to calm myself down. I slowly braided it into a single plait as I wrapped it up around my head, slowly falling deep into my own thoughts,

I was terrified, there was still so much I didnt know, and I had a feeling this was just the start, there was going to be much more to come, things that I was not ready to face, nor was my allies. It felt as if I was just being used as a pawn, and there was someone much greater moving the peices around, and I hated it,

How had my life now come to this? A few months ago I was a nobody, just a masked assassin who was constantly on the run and her only concern was that of her baby sister, ensuring she stayed safe and alive.

As I finished I turned to see Brand was awake and quietly watching me, still laying in the bed, the sheet wrapped up around his waist as he rolled onto his side, brushing his hair out his face.

I looked at him in the mirror as we said nothing, we didn't need to say anything. Our eyes said enough.

I slowly stood up holding the towel as I knelt down and reached deep under the bed, pulling out a big box. I placed it on the bed as I blew the thin layer of dust off it as I fanned my hand infront of my face, trying not to inhale it.

Brand frowned as he looked at it and I smiled as I opened it, gently placing the lid on the side, "I have been making this for a while, ever since I knew this day was coming, something that helped me bide the time" I said as I pulled out my new armour and Brand pushed himself up, his eyes running all over it.

It was all black, multiple knife pockets and complex armour sheets on it, but I had added something a little new to it, something more me.

Small little rivers of red weaved throughout the fabric, the exact colour that my eyes turned that day in the mirror, my colour.

I pulled it completely out of the box and lay it on the bed, gently running my fingertips over it as Brand looked at me raising an eyebrow ever so slightly.

"I've always made mine and Bethany's armours, something we were trained to do. An assassin is only fit to wear an armour created by themselves, the suit is just another part of you and should never be another persons job." I murmured,

"I took all the designs from my previous armours and made this one. It's the most complex and protective one yet, my greatest creation. It has slots for everything I could possibly need, and the new design allows me to carry it all without it affecting my fighting, as well as making it easier to draw my bow and knives." I said to him as I walked into the closet and pulled my undergarments on,

I pulled on a mesh jumpsuit ontop, one which fitted perfectly under the armour as a base layer, almost a second skin. I shivered at the contact of the material on my skin, goosebumps erupting all over my skin.

It had been such long since I had worn anything like this, but I felt as if I was a completely different person now. I shook my arms, easing the shakes, my hands slightly sweating as I looked away from the mirror.

I walked out of the closet as Brand's eyes watched me quietly, however he still did not move from the bed.

As I pulled on the armour he sat up and folded his arms, the sheet ruffling up around his waist, "I shouldn't let you go into this battle" he said as I completely ignored him, knowing this was coming.

"Lillian, I cannot" he said as I laughed dryly, folding the belt tight around my waist, "Unfortunately, that's not an option Brand, you know it and I know it" I said as he ran his hand over his face, his eyes meeting mine as I continued to tie up my suit around my body.

"I need you Lillian, I need you to be alive to be my mate, and to be my Queen. I'm not fucking about here" he said as I finished pulling the armour on and zipped myself up, wiping my sweaty palms down my legs,