Chapter Sixty-Seven - negotiation

We all rode in complete silence, no one having anything to say as we pushed forwards, trees blurring past us as we focused on our destination. Fear building in my stomach with every step we took.

As we continued to ride, the snow began to fall around us, mocking me with every snowflake. I felt Damien turn his head to look at me as soon as the first flake fell, but I refused to indulge him, I couldnt right now. My self-control was balancing on a delicate edge as it was, let alone adding in Damien and the effect he had on me.

I slyly turned around to look at Cyrene riding silently at the back a couple times to see if she would ride up next to me and tell me what she needed to, or even give me a clue on what she so desperately needed to say. But she continuously avoided my gaze every time. I frowned as I rode, what could she have seen or found? What was she so terrified of that she couldnt share with me whilst everyone was around?

As we drew closer and entered a clearing I felt a cold harsh shiver rush through my body, this was the place, I could feel it in my gut. This was the place that was going to change my life forever, in a way I wasnt even sure I understood yet.

It was a large empty clearing, the snow having freshly fallen on the ground, it hadn't even been stepped in yet. It was as if a soft blanket covered the entire area and I let out a small sigh, my breath pushing out a little cloud in front of my face as I surveyed the delicate blanket covering the ground.

We slowly halted as I pulled starlight around to face the witches and the soldiers who had volunteered to fight, despite my outrage at Brands refusal to involve his entire army. There wasn't many of us, but I needed to keep up confidence, even if I didn't quite feel it myself.

We all got off our horses as we stood in a circle and discussed our battle plan, my hands shaking ever so slightly as I handed out instructions to those around me. I zoned in and out of the conversation as I kept trying to look at Cyrene and catch her gaze, but she didn't lift her eyes off the floor. As if she was trying to ignore me, on purpose.

I glared, a small burning anger growing within me as she finally looked up, as if she felt my burning gaze on her. but all she did was shake her head and drop her eyes straight back to the floor, her movements so small you would have noticed if you weren't watching closely.

"Myself, Damien, Hyde, Evelyn and Lillian will try and talk to them first. There is nothing more we can do other than try to prevent this battle. Maybe we can stop this all happening, however I don't see that working if I'm completely honest with you all. We are the front line, from there we can protect the witches, mainly Cyrene from harm, we want to get this battle won as quick as possible" Brand said to the crowd as Cyrene lifted her gaze to meet his,

However as she did I saw a small flicker of fear cross it before she nodded firmly at Brand, "I appreciate your concern for the future of my colony, however do not put your lives before mine, I can certainly handle myself" she said turning around as the witches nodded at her bowing slightly, as if it was an order within itself.

"We will use all of our strength to end this as quickly as possible, do not worry we witches can fight we enough on our own. We will protect our family and our allies, but mainly our future Queen." she said with a new found confidence as Brand stared back at her and she looked away.

I watched their interaction as I narrowed my eyes, something was up. I shot Damien a small glance as I saw him inspecting the two of them before I folded my arms, scanning the crowd of people before me.

As we finished finalising plans we climbed back up upon our horses and we waited. It felt like time had been exriatingly lengthened, as if every second was a minute and every minute was an hour. Silence rang through my ears as nobody moved but all of a sudden I saw the tree line ruffle ever so slightly and then they emerged.

Magda was right at the front followed by Dagger and Hale either side of her horse, both of their faces remaining natural as she smirked cruelly at me as she walked her horse through the fresh snow. I felt a cool rage flush through me as I bit my tongue, refusing to let her know how she affected me.

I slowly climbed off starlight and chucked my cape on top of her as I gave her a gentle pat trying to calm my nerves, my hand still shaking ever so slightly as I ran my fingers through her mane. I pulled my bow over my shoulder as I took a deep breath and started to walk towards them to meet in the middle of the field.

Brand, Damien, Evelyn, and Hyde followed next to me in silence as I didn't break eye contact with Magda, her smirk causing rage to continue to build up inside me, the red hot flush fuelling me as I no longer felt fear, I wanted to slit her throat and watched as the life drained out of her eyes.

As we reached them I felt fear no longer consume me and Brand took a small step in front of me, holding his hand out in front of me, protecting me, and I smiled.