25. The Talk with Mr. Wonka

*the next day*

Katie's POV
Last night after having dinner with the Bucket family, we all went back to the factory. When we went to face Mr. Wonka, me and the guys were stepped aside while Gustavo yelled some things at him for being stupid when Kelly let him have it, and my mom slapped him across the face and shaming him. We all knew how angry we were at Mr. Wonka for making the biggest mistake of his life.

I was in my room, packing my stuff the last minute. A few of the Oompa Loompas came in to help as they were each doing the same with the guys, my mom, Gustavo and Kelly. I was thinking about how much I would miss the factory and how much it was exploring almost everywhere, even whenever I had trouble with directions to which room I wanted to know about and go to.

An Oompa Loompa handed me one of my best shirts to pack in my bag.

"Thank you," I said to him.

Then I heard a knock on the door.

"Katie? It's me."

I heard Mr. Wonka's voice calling to me, but I tried to ignore it. Then he kept knocking and it started to annoy me.

"Cocoa bean, can I come in?"

"Just go away! I don't wanna talk to you!" I yelled at him and I really meant it.

"Katie, listen. I just wanna apologize for everything I said," he said.

I heard the sadness in his voice. I exhaled in defeat and decided to open the door.

"Hi," Mr. Wonka said.

"Hey," I said.

"Can I come in so we can talk?" he asked.

I sighed and sarcastically said, "sure."

I let Mr. Wonka in the room.

"Hey, can you guys give us a moment alone?" I asked the Oompa Loompas.

They nodded and left the room before Mr. Wonka sat himself on the bed as I did the same next to him before I started listening.

"Sweetheart, I've realized how stupid and wrong I was yesterday at Charlie's house, and I'm really, really sorry about what I said," Mr. Wonka told me.

"You should be. You know, you had no right to take Charlie away from his family. He looked up to you his whole life, and next thing you did was that you broke his heart, and that was not okay," I said to him.

"I know, and I agree with you on that. Truly, I do," Mr. Wonka stated.

"Then why were you doing that, anyway?" I questioned.

I expected Mr. Wonka to tell the truth, which then he decided to do that.

"If I tell you a secret, do you swear not to tell?" he asked me.

"I guess," I responded.

"Long time ago, I was a young boy, and I had an argument with my father," he started explaining. "When I told him about my dreams of becoming a world famous chocolatier because of how I had been tasting different kinds of candy and hopefully that one day, I would make some of my own."

"Is that how you came up with the chocolate factory? With all different kinds of rooms where you can make candy whenever you need to?" I asked.

"Technically, yes. But actually, it didn't happen yet," he said.

I continued listening as he went on.

"Anyway, during our argument, my father told I would never become a chocolatier. I told him I decided to run away to any of the candy capitals in the world. And right before I left, he said, 'Go ahead, but I won't be here when you come back.' After he dared me in agreement, I walked out on my father and I left home. But my plan of running away from home didn't go well. So then, I decided to return home. But as soon as I got back, my house disappeared. I didn't think my father would actually mean it by his own words. And then I was all left alone. From then on, we never saw each other again. We didn't even have any contact with each other."