Burger King or McDonald's?

The first few minutes of the drive to the district was quiet. We didn't say a word. But that changed quickly when we stopped at a traffic light. "How did you know," Jay asks, glancing at me. 

"Know what," I ask confused. 

"The boy knew what happened, how did you know that?"

"His eyes, you could see it in his eyes. You just have to use yours to see it."

"Well he looked perfectly fine to me, how did-"

"You know what, it takes one to know one, does that answer your question?" I interrupt him angrily, trying to ignore the anger pulsing through my veins. It's so wrong to let a child see such a horrifying thing happen right in front of his own eyes. It's such a psyco thing to do. The memory of Micheal's eyes as they widen at the question of what happened to the victim pops into my head. The fear in his eyes, the sadness. It all makes my heart break into pieces. He is just 5 years old and he already saw something no one else would want to see.   

"What the hell is that suppose to mean? And don't get irritated with me, I'm just curious. But if that's a problem with you, fine then, I won't ask you anymore," he snaps at me, glancing every now and then at me as he drove through the streets. The rest of the ride was silent. I feel bad for snapping at him. It's not like his the murderer or something. Great, now I'm the one at wrong here.

I sigh, making Jay cock an eyebrow at me, "I'm sorry, it's just... I don't know... I guess the fact that a 5 year old witnessed a murder right in front of his own eyes, makes me so angry. I mean, you should've seen the look on his face when I talked to him, and the fact that he came out of the house to make me promise him to catch the guy, it makes my heart break."  I look out the window, trying to get my emotions together, as one tear threatens to slip down my cheek. When it comes to children, my heart is as soft as a marshmallow. Especially, when they are involved in cases.

I nearly jolt out of my seat as I feel something grip my thigh. I glance over at Jay's hand on my thigh, before I look at him. His face softened as he glanced at me, "It's okay. I know it's hard, but this gives us a reason to get that son of a bitch behind bars. And we'll get him, I know we will." He has this reassuring tone in his voice, that instantly calms me. I don't know why though. Giving him a small smile, I say, "Thank you." My voice barely above a whisper. I turn back to look out the window. He squeeze's my thigh one last time, before placing his hand back on the steering wheel. 

* ♡ ° ☆ * ♡ ° ☆ *

It wasn't long before we reached the district. When we reached the bullpen, everyone was already there looking at the board. At our arrival, everyone looked at us. "You're late," Voight says, hands in his pockets. 

"Sorry, we found an eye witness, who saw the whole thing, well most of it," Jay says walking over to his desk as I walked over to mine. 

"Great, who?" Sarge asks. 

"A Five year old Micheal Lanchaster, right across the street. Saw the man, Garcia and the whole crime. He didn't say so, but by how he acted, I know he did," I say, making my voice sound like how I feel. Angry, sad and irritated. Looking at the team, I see them all feeling like I do. "The man was big and fat with a grey beard and short grey hair. His words not mine. He said that if we can show him pictures, he would be able to tell us who it was. He doesn't know if the suspect saw him or not." 

"Okay, get the boy in protective custody, he is our only big lead and we can't afford to loose him, either bring him over here or get patrol cars at his house. Check POD cams, look into the victim's personal life, social media, etc. Atwater, look into those bank documents from the crime scene, we are not sleeping until we get this son of a bitch behind bars and know that the boy is safe." Voight says, and everyone jumps up and starts working. I went over to the board and wrote down the description Micheal gave me drawing a block with a big '?' and naming it 'Suspect'. I grabbed my phone from my desk and started for the door to the parking lot, Jay following behind me.

"Give me the keys," I say as we reach the truck.

"Why?" He asks confused.

"I'm driving, give me the damn keys."

"No, I'm not letting you drive me like Erin used to." His voice sounded offended and hurt.

"Relax, it's only this time, you can still drive." I say, the look of relief on his face was hilarious. He gave me the keys to the truck and I slide into the driver's side.

* ♡ ° ☆ * ♡ ° ☆ *

The drive to the Lanchaster's house was short. When we reached the house, a car was reversing out the driveway. I stop the truck, and immediately jumped out. Seeing Mrs. Lanchaster in the driver's side, relieve flood through me. When she saw me approaching, she stopped the car and rolled the window down. "Is there a problem, Detective?" She asked worried. I explained to her the situation and she almost immediately agreed to let Micheal come with us to the district.

"I have to get to work anyway, I was going to take him with me, but my boss won't be so fond about it and the fact that I'm very late for work, doesn't help the situation," she says sheepishly. "And I know he'll be safer with you, than with me at work, and besides he couldn't stop talking about 'the detective lady'," she chuckles. With that she let Micheal out the car, and I lead him towards the truck after greeting his mother and so on.

I gave the keys to Jay and climbed in the back with Micheal. Making sure he was buckled in Jay started the car and drove back to the district. "Whare are we going?" Micheal whispered.

"We are going to the police station," I whisper back.

"I thought you work for SHIELD?" His eyes widen in confusion.

"I do, SHIELD is in the police, but you can't tell the others," I whisper. He gets the 'oh' expression on his face and I have to keep myself from laughing.

"What are you two whispering about? Are you two gossiping about me?" Jay asks, glancing in the rear-view-mirror.

"It's for us to know and for you to find out," I say winking at Micheal and he giggles. We finally reached the district, and Micheal practically jumped out the truck, just as it was parked.

Leading him into the bullpen, he suddenly stood dead in his tracks with wide eyes, before he pointed to the board. "That guy, that's him," he whispered to me. Looking at where he pointed, there was a man who was pinned down as one of the suspects.

"Are you sure Micheal?" I ask squatting down to him. He nods and you can see in his eyes that he is telling the truth. The fear in his eyes, his body slouching, the fact that he's squeezing my hand so hard. All of it breaks my heart all over again.

"Sarge," I call out. A second later Sareant Voight was standing at his office door looking at me and Micheal. "Johnathan Brian, his the one," I say looking up at him.

"Antonio and Al is with him now trying to get him to talk, I'll go let them know," he says heading to the interview rooms.

"We come baring food," I hear my brother behind me. Turning around I saw him and Hailey standing with a Burger King takeaway bag in their hands.

"You hungry," I ask Micheal and he nods. I stood up and lead him to the breakroom, Adam and Hailey following behind me. Getting Micheal seated at the table, I start looking for the paper plates in the cabinet.

"I have a kid's cheeseburger for you kid, a Bacon King and nuggets for you sis, a Big King for Halstead, a Whopper for Hailey and Kim each, a Triple Stacker for me and Kevin each and another Whopper and Bacon King for Antnio and Alvin," Adam says, handing each one in the room a Burger and fries.

"We weren't sure about drinks so we got Coca-Cola for everyone," Hailey says handing a drink to everyone. "I really hope your mom doesn't have a problem with sugar," she adds, handing Micheal his drink. We all had lunch together, Adam making jokes with Micheal, and Kim and Hailey having a debate with Kevin and Jay whether Burger King is better that McDonald's. While Sargeant Voight, Antonioand Alvin are trying to get Jonathan to confess...