The Wednesday Shift

Fast forward to Wednesday. Nothing interesting happened after Jay asked me to go on a date. The butterflies haven't settled down at all these few days, but I think Kim is way more excited than me. Why, I don't know.

"What are you thinking?" Jay asks beside me in the truck, obviously snapping me out of my daze.

"Mhm? Oh, nothing much," I shrug. We are currently on our way to the theatre for our nightshift. Even though we're stuck here until wayyyy after midnight, atleast we'll be getting tomorrow off. And atleast I spend my shift with Jay. Which doesn't really seem so bad.

"See there it is again. What are you thinking," he asks.

"There is what?" I ask confused.

"The smile," he says taking a left.

"What smile?"

"Everytime you think of something specific, you get this smile on your face."

I didn't even realize that I was smiling. I would rather not tell him why I was smiling. Since it was involving him. "Oh," is all I said. "I guess I'm just curious about where we are going to on Friday," I say, half lying. It's not really what I was thinking about, obviously, but I really am curious.

"Ah, I guess you just have to wait and see," Jay says smirking.

I grunt, "Why can't you just tell me?"

"Because it is a surprise," he shrugs.

"What is it with boys and their surprises," I ask shaking my head.

"You don't like surprises?" He asks.

"I do!"

"Then you have to wait and see what the surprise is," he shrugs. I sigh defeatedly.

"Is it just me or is these blues super uncomfortable?" I ask as I tug at my tie. Obviously we had to wear our blue uniforms and I hate every second of it. It keeps giving me a uncomfortable wedgie. T.M.I I know...

Jay was about to comment when our radio's went off.

"Ambo 64, Unit 1800. CPD Comamander requesting backup at 24 West Randolph Street. Shots Fired at police, Civilians down, officers down. I repeat Shots fired at-"

"That's at the theatre we're supposed to go to," Jay says cutting in while the radio's blared. I grabbed my radio as Jay sped up and our blue lights flickered and the siren blared.

"This is 5021 Henry, we're 2 blocks out," I call out. Unbuckling my seatbelt, I lean over the middle console to get our bulletproofs. The radio chattered, but I stopped listening at that. At this moment my head is in focus mode.

"Ah, booty in the face," Jay commented and I roll my eyes and I plop myself back into my seat with our bulletproofs in one hand.

"Sorry," I mutter.

"Don't worry, it's a pretty booty, so I don't mind," he smirks. I gasp and slap him on his shoulder a little too hard.

To get my bulletproof on is a mission, but to help Jay with his while he's driving is like mission impossible.

"Please remind me to always ask you to help me vest up," he says.

I cock an eyebrow at him in confusion, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Don't worry," he says smirking. Eventually he was ready and soon we reached the theatre. As I opened the car door, sound of shots being fired filled the air. I draw out my gun and start to make my way to the building when my radio went off.

"Armed male in blue hoodie and white snickers heading out the main entrance of the theatre!" The radio blared. "This is an emergency! Roll in an ambo! Civilians and officer down!"

A second later the suspect came out the building and I shout, "Stop! Chicago PD!" He whipped his head to me and fired at us. I ducked behind the truck for cover. Peeking out on the side, the suspect started running and I followed.

"5021 George, in pursuit of the shooter-" I hear Jay, but stopped listening after the word "shooter". My focus was now on catching the guy in front of me. All I can hear now is my heart pounding in my chest and my footsteps on the ground. We turn into an ally and at that moment the shooter turned around and started firing at us. Jay and I both duck for the dumpsters for cover and then start shooting.

"5021 George, shots fired at police, requesting for immediate backup at-" Jay calls into his radio, and yet again I stopped listening. I peeked to where the suspect was and saw him running off again. I pushed myself away from the wall I was crouching against and make my way to where he turned left into another street. Blinding lights came from behind me and a car came to a stop.

"Annabelle," I hear Hailey behind me. I whip my head around.

"Suspect in blue hoodie and white snickers! Armed and dangerous, down that ally!" I call out to her and Adam, before I turned around and made my way to the ally that the suspect turned into.

I don't know for how long we were running, but somewhere the suspect took a right into another ally and when I followed him short after, I saw him slamming a door shut. I make my way to the door and carefully open it as I aim my gun inside. Jay followed right behind me and we make our way inside, into an abandoned building.

The silence was deafening and it was unbelievably dark. As Jay and I split up, I grabbed my flashlight from my pocket and aimed it to everywhere my gun was aiming as I made my way through the building. Wrecked up scaffolding planks were everywhere along with wrecked furniture. Everything was covered in dust and spider webs. The place looked haunted.

I heard a door slamming shut to my right and immediately made my way there. I opened the door and just as I stepped out to the open air, gunshots rang through the air and suddenly a sharp pain spreads through my thigh, my shoulder and my chest. More gunshots filled the air and I as I slumped to the ground screaming in agony and another pain spreads near my collarbone.