Where my name came from

I was sitting behind Jay's desk as the whole team were tracing down Adam's last steps. What he did 24 hours earlier, who he talked to, who he called, emailed, where he drove to. Every. Single. Thing.

I tried helping here and there, but with the pain of my leg clouding my mind, I could only do so much.

I was lost in my thoughts, thinking about what could have possibly happened to my brother, when someone wrapped their arms around my shoulders.

Jay placed his chin on one of my shoulders as he asked, "What you thinking about?"

"Adam," I said shortly, playing with the pen in my hands.

"We're going to find him," he said. "I promise."

"Mhm," I hummed. Trying to sound as positive as I can. We stayed in this position, until his desktop screens blazed with light. We didn't touch the thing at all, so when the light came through we both jumped.

"That's weird," Jay murmured. The next moment a video feed was playing on the screen.

"Guys," I called out to the others. "Come check this out."

The team scurried over to Jay and me.

On the video was a masked guy and my breath hitched I  my throat when I saw the symbol etched into the forehead of the mask.

A snake.

The man started speaking, "You know, I never thought I'd get to torture two of the same siblings at least once in my life. I always thought I'd take the youngest and then get what I want."

In the background, I hear Adam's grunts and howls of pain. I close my eyes shut, trying to block out the sounds 

"As you can hear, I have something you want," the voice continued. Kim and Hailey sprung into action as they grabbed laptops and tried to track down the location of the feed and scanned the voice through CPD's database. "And you have something I want."

"Here's my request, if you want your partner to come out alive, I suggest you give me what I want." Behind him, a group of people dragged a very bruised and bleeding Adam. "Number one, I want Rondal Fletcher to be discharged from prison by the end of this day. Number two, I want his arresting officer, Detective Annabelle Ruzek's badge."

I hear a dark chuckled, "I never thought I'd see that little whimpering girl as a detective after what? Thirteen years? I always thought somehow she'd die and that shack of hers."

And suddenly, the voice sounded very familiar. He's the one who grabbed me that day. He's the one who dragged me into the shack.

"Lastly, I don't want your detectives snooping around my territory like this one did." He jutted a thumb over his shoulder. "If you can arrange these things for me, I would really appreciate it. Until we meet again, Annabelle Ruzek."

The screen darkened.

The room was silent for a while, before everyone burst out laughing. I was left confused.

"What is this guy? A rookie?" Kevin asked. "Clearly he's not good at making deals."

"Keeping himself a secret either," Hailey said. "His name is Garrick Fletcher. He's Rondal's brother."

"This doesn't make sense," I mumbled. "Why would he want my badge? I get that he wants his brother out of prison and he doesn't want us to investigate him, but why my badge? He'sthe one who kidnapped me. I recognized his voice, but why doesn't he just try and kill me again?"

The room fell silent. Not even Voight said anything.

"Can I maybe have my childhood case file?" I asked Voight.