𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

NINE

9

A MUNDANE LIFE:

A MUNDANE LIFE:

WHEN I FIRST MET MIEKO,

It was on a rather boring day, the kind of day were I was too focus on the amount of energy I put into the job, the logistics of it, and of course my new obsession with money. It happened in the boring workplace of my office, where the boring man titled as my boss had brought the small, in both height and shape,
woman through the boring mud-colour doors.

On that particular day, everything was just so boring, I desperately needed a change, which if change didn't come soon, would be me quitting this job, that I knew I would regret later on, probably the only reason I haven't quit yet.

When I first met her, I thought she too, was  rather boring. She was the kind of woman, that if you had seen her at a nightclub, hoping for a one night stand or something a little more, you wouldn't choose her to hit on. Not that she wasn't pretty, in fact, the woman was very beautiful, she almost looked unrealistic and straight up from a magazine cover, the kind where the filters and editing make the women look so smooth and soft. The thing that seemed uninteresting, was how cold she was for just meeting someone. She was very quiet and reserved through cold, judgmental, slender eyes that gave a killer look at me, as if in the moment she was analyzing every aspect of my life. She definitely was the kind of girl to push away any man that comes her way, which was just a buzzkill.

"This is Mieko, Mieko, Nanami."
My boss had introduced us to in each other in a mundane voice that suited this whole entire day, making me sigh lightly.

And even then, she simply raised her hand, that was covered by a thin white, lace trimmed glove that ended in the middle of her palm, and gave me slight one wave to the right, before she brought her messenger bag and herself to the desk across from me.

Looking back at it, there were many small signs of the woman being a jujutsu sorcerer, that I now wonder how I didn't realize sooner. The gloves being one of them. We didn't say anything to one another after that small greeting. The day went on as normal.

Mieko's first week of working, I never heard her talk. Quite literally.
When I asked her to do a small task, she would either nod or shake her head to respond, and she did the same whenever the boss had given her task. She said not a word.
It was almost as if I didn't have a office partner in the first place, the clock's ticking was still heard loudly as ever, my breathing could be heard which annoyed the shit out of myself, just now, differently, I could hear Mieko's typing on her laptop in unison of my own.

That week, my work had gotten cut down severely, I'd say even more than half was gone, magically vanished. Stupidly enough, at the time I didn't realize the boss gave almost all my work to Mieko. I always managed to, somehow, finish my workload, and never faced overtime, ever. I left the office at exactly six o'clock every evening, while Mieko stayed behind, her eyes glued on the blue-lit screen in front her.
Later on, when I did realize Mieko's overload from my work, she would yell at me, that she was a only hired to stop my non-stop complaining of overtime.