𝐓𝐞𝐧

TEN

10

THE NEW YORK INCIDENT

"EXCUSE ME, SIR?"

Nanami set down his coffee cup onto the saucer, then lowered the newspaper he read, meeting eyes with the middle age foreign woman who had called out to him in her very, very poor Japanese skills.

"I can speak English, if that helps."
Nanami had spoken in the said language, instantly making the woman's eyes lit up in glee, as she shook her head 'yes' happily.

"Oh my goddess, yes! What great luck!"
She had smiled widely at Nanami's statement but very shortly afterwards she had calmed down a lot, almost into a sadden state.

"Are you a... sorcerer?"
She asked hesitantly, pointing to herself, where on Nanami was where his jujutsu tech button pinned to his blazer.

Nanami, natural instinct, looked down at his button, and hummed, nodding his head at the woman's question.

Her mouth suddenly closed, she piped down and sighed heavily as if she was ashamed. She stared at the floor for a few minutes, awkwardly playing with her jacket she held in her hands. She glanced back up at Nanami, her eyebrows furrowed in sadness.

"Do you... work at Jujutsu Tech by any chance?"

"I do."

Again, she sighed and went back down to looking at the floor. This time she kept her eyes on the floor, as her shoulders raised in defence, hugging herself.

"Do you... know a woman by the name of Carolina?"
She asked quietly, as if she didn't want Nanami to hear her question.

"I don't."
She snapped her attention towards him, swallowing harshly.

"What about the name Juliana?"
Nanami shook his head again, watching as the girl started to tear up, pursing her lips.

"It's possible she's went by the name Kumiko..."
But Nanami told the woman once again no, as she sucked in her breath harshly, a tear falling from her eye. She stayed there, standing in front of Nanami's table at the cafe, though she said nothing.

"If the girl goes by multiple names, why don't you just tell me how she looks and I'll see if she works with me."
Nanami suggested, trying to be helpful, though the woman shook her head.

"No. I clearly wasn't meant to meet her again. Thank you, though."
She smiled gently and wiped her tears.

Her and Nanami had said their goodbyes, before the woman had left the cafe, leaving Nanami alone to his newspaper. He sighed as he returned to reading it.
He suddenly felt burdened by the woman's questions, as if it was like he did in fact know the girl she was looking for, but he simply couldn't piece it together. He glanced down at his watch, realizing it was soon time to head back to the facility.