𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐢𝐱

THIRTY SIX
-
36

"Two Twin Girls"-

"Two Twin Girls"
-

NANAMI LISTENED TO THE OTHER

Men's sob stories as they went around clockwise in the circle of chairs, he held a lump in his throat that grew each time his turn grew closer. Finally it did, when his name was called by the sponsor of the group, he clenched his fists, sighing and trying to push the lump in his throat down. He stood up.

"Hello, I'm Nanami Kento and... I'm an alcoholic, I guess you could say."
Nanami muttered with little courage to his group, he closed his eyes listening to the usual response of Hello Nanami.

"Would you like to tell us how you came to start drinking?"
The sponsor asked Nanami. He passed the man sitting down a harsh glare of fear, he nodded, turning back to the group.

"I loved a woman. The kind of love that the moment you fall in love, you know it's either going to be your happy end or the death of you. There's no in between. The kind of love, that you search for any part of her in another woman, never finding it. Anyways, I'm getting off topic now. I fell in love with this woman, but she needed to leave me in order to sort some things out. I was too upset that she was leaving, to see it was what she needed to do. In her absence, I started to see hallucinations and have nightmares all concerning her, and the pain she had to endure before she met me. Drinking was the only thing I could do to drown out my sorrow, and be able to handle the nightmares."
Nanami explained, with glossy, fearful eyes he scanned the men's faces watching as they all nodded with pursed lips as if they understood Nanami's story, understood why he started to drink, or could relate to it. Seeing the agreement, made the lump in Nanami's throat, soften. He guesses that was the point of AA meetings.

"And why have you reached out for help now, Nanami?"
The sponsor asked the second standardized question.

"Well, she came back in my life a few months ago. She's currently in a medically induced coma as we speak, but I wish to be... a better man for her when she wakes up. The man she fell for. And I can't be that if I'm an alcoholic."
Nanami sighed, taking his seat as the answer left him winded, burdened with a great sadness.

"Thank you for sharing, Nanami. Is there anything else you'd like to say to the group?"
But Nanami simply shook his head.

The group finished sharing, and after helping putting the folding chairs away, as everyone split into private conversations over the coffee and snacks for the after meeting, Nanami started to take his leave. He got his shoes on, and a foot out the door when his sponsor called out to him.

"Hey Nanami, where are you going, bud!?"
He called out, as Nanami turned his head over his shoulder to look at the man.

"I have to go see Mieko."
Nanami said, having to hold back tears.