𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐓𝐰𝐨

FORTY-TWO
-
42

FORTY-TWO- 42

HOME

NANAMI SIGHED A BREATH OF RELIEF

As he opened the door and seen his mother, holding a bunch of bags over her shoulders, on her back, and in her hands. She looked as though she was suited for an apocalypse. She pushed Nanami out of way, setting her bags on the kitchen counters.

"Thank you for coming, mom."
Nanami said calmly, before his panicked started to set in.
"I don't know what to do, mom! I don't even think she came out for the bathroom— "

"Did you make sure she's not dead?"
His mother grumbled, starting to put a pot of water on the stove.

"Yeah, I check up on her every hour, all she does is sleep. I don't even think she's eating!"
Nanami rambled.

"You leave that up to me."
His mother hummed happily, starting to chop some vegetables.

"She doesn't eat meat, mother."
Nanami warned his panic subsiding into curiosity.

His mother hummed, enthusiastically.
"A bummer, but nothing I can't handle!"

"How do you know this is going to work?"
Nanami questioned, as his mother took a prideful sigh.

"Mothers always have magic up their sleeve!"

Nanami's mother focused on cooking the stew she was creating with the hopes of making it irresistible to the girl who hasn't left the bed since a few days ago. When she finished cooking and stirring all the ingredients into her graceful dish, she made a bowl up for her son, passing it to him over the couch as she made her way to the guest room with a tray in her other hand. Nanami glanced over at his mother, amused at how quickly she passed by whilst still handing him a bowlful. He watched his mother disappeared behind the corridors of hallways, he could hear her knock before she entered the guest room, and after awaiting a few moments for any indication that his mother's effect failed, he started to eat his food.

He cleaned out the bowl, finishing his food as he set on the coffee table. He tapped his knees anxiously, before deciding to go to the guest room to see how his mother was doing with Mieko. He opened the door quietly, hearing his mother's gentle voice filling the room as he sneaked it.

"It's quite alright, dear. I'll get it, don't you worry about it at all."
She told Mieko, as Nanami leaned against the corner that hid the door to the guest bedroom. It was the first time his mother and Mieko ever really interacted.

"You know... in all honesty I should be thanking you.... Oh here, take another bite."
His mother said.

"Thanking me?"

"You gave me back my son."
Nanami's mother spoke in a way he could hear the smile that overcame her face.
"I didn't quite understand at first... why he acted the way he did with Suzume. It was shameful. But the moment I seen how you acted with you in the hospital that night on your accident, I understood it all. The only reason he even tried to get sober, was for you. He told me that himself. He got sober for you, and I got my son back and I couldn't be more thankful."