Chapter 20- Next Man Up

Oak POV

I listened half-heartedly as the TV belted out the results of the match, "And this long slide for Pasio University continues... They slip to 4th in the conference standing...the next game could be their last of the season if they lose..." I sighed deeply as I continued to write. We were always so close. This team was resilient, and they were doing their best. It just wasn't quite enough. I looked over to the TV to check the official standings for our conference.

The Greater Islands Conference
1. Alola Regional 26-3
2. Melemele Regional 18-11
3. Malie City 16-13
4. Pasio University 15-14
----------------- Playoff Cutoff----------------
5. HeaHea City College 15-14
6. Isle of Armor 14-15
7. Pokemon Colosseum 12-17
8. Lental University 8-21

One game left in our regular season. And it'll be against Malie City. Only opponent we managed to beat recently was HeaHea. And I suppose we deserved to have something go right for us but...yeah we got lucky. And as it stands now we need a big win to get us in the tournament. And that's just the conference Tournament. This program is coming to an end in the same way if began. Lofty goals, championship dreams...and then nothing. This whole University has been like that. It is what it is though. We make enough to stay afloat. Well...we will soon... I fielded a call from Kukui, I picked up and immediately I heard Kukui very depressed on the other end, "Professor Oak... I swear...when we have our recruits next year and another year to develop these guys we'll win..." I shook my head, "You know why I'm doing this Kukui. I'm not the villain here. It's all the rest of the sports programs or just pokemon battling. I didn't make that the ultimatum. That's just what it is." Kukui sighed deeply, "I-... I know that... But I really think we finally have it figured out-" I stopped him, "Maybe you do. And that's great. But unfortunately it can't change anything." Kukui sounded completely defeated, "How will I tell... Look, is there anything I can do at all to save the program... anything?" I chuckled, "Well. I mean, a good placement in the International Championship Tournament might do that. That's about it though." Kukui determinedly said before hanging up the phone, "Consider it done." I shook my head. Love the determination, but that's not happening.

Hilda POV

I was sat down in the locker room with Hilbert Dawn and Ethan. We all hung our heads in shame, what started as such a good season has turned to dust. We may not even make the conference Tournament. I felt a comforting pat on my back, I looked over and it was Hilbert. He smiled kind of weakly and said, "I know how competitive you are, And I know how bad this hurts, but we're not done. We're winning tomorrow." I heard the locker room door swing open as I smiled back at Hilbert, I heard a distinct voice from the door, "He's right. I see too many of you giving up already." I looked up and saw Calem. He had a sort of determined aire about him. He stepped in front of all of us, "Is this what you guys want to be remembered for? A good start?" He looked around for answers before continuing, "No. What we have tomorrow is an opportunity. An opportunity to prove that all the work we did was real, was everything we could give. Is that what you want!?" A few heads nodded, including mine. He threw his arms up in the air, "Then let's act like it! We're winning tomorrow! No ands. No ifs. No buts. Expect a win. Nothing less. See you all tomorrow." He then exited and shut the door behind him. Dawn looked over to me, "I- I didn't know he could do that. I feel... inspired." I nodded, "Y-yeah." Hilbert looked over to me, "H- Hilda!" I looked over, that was really sudden, "What?", He looked over like a wild man, almost unaware that he wasn't dreaming, "Will- Would you GoOutWithMePlease?" I reeled, then slowly replied, "Did- did you ju-" he nodded vehemently, "yes." I flushed completely, Dawn and Ethan looked on with bated breath, and confused looks on their faces. I stuttered back, "Uh- yeah- yeah- I'd really like that actually." A collective sigh of relief came from Dawn, Ethan, and most especially Hilbert, who hugged me. I then saw Hop, Victor, Gloria, and Selene come over and congratulate us. Well. I suppose I don't hate losing today all that bad...