Chapter 30 - Guilty Conscience

"N-No?" Asher said. His hands were clenched into fists. The unpleasant feeling became more and more unbearable as the thought of Pier not being by his side anymore continued to roam his mind.

"It did not mean an entire no, your highness. However, as of the moment, I cannot afford to do so" Pier explained as he fixed the wrinkled parts of his clothes. 

"A household and a noble could still support you even though you're not acquainted with them as friends, your highness. I want to let time pass by before I can form a new relationship with his highness as friends" Pier said and stood up. Raphael stood up as well in the process. 

Raphael did not know what to do. He wanted to console the prince but he also wanted to talk with Pier. 

"Your highness, we have wounded each other in many ways. The relationship we used to have was ruined and was instead thrown in the gutter. It was my fault for I have expected something out of my love and affection for many years and now I am letting his highness go. Please allow me to do the same and let us live our lives the way where it is supposed to go" Pier said before bowing respectfully and bidding Asher goodbye. 

The sound of his steps became fainter as the distance increased.

Asher felt his heart ache at it. The sound of Pier's footsteps was like the sound of his chances becoming acquainted with Pier again. 

He was disappointed in many things. 

He was disappointed with himself. Where did it all go wrong? Why did this happen?

He was also disappointed with his actions. He expected that he could simply become friends with Pier now that they have finally settled the issue of his love for him but he did not know the damage was that big

'I hurt him too much' Asher dwelled on the thought. He realized he had caused Pier a bigger wound than what he thought the damage would be. 

"Your Highness" Raphael said and came near Asher to share his sentiments. 

"Raph, I messed up," Asher said as he lowered his head and his clenched fists became even tighter.

"Leave us alone for the moment," Raphael ordered the servants and they bowed before dispersing from their stationed area.

"Your Highness, as the young master said, it would take time" Raphael consoled the frustrated Crown Prince. It had been years since he saw Asher like this. 

"I only wanted to be friends with Pier again..." he said weakly. The strength and confidence he displayed in front of Pier were slowly going away as the person was not with them in the garden's pavilion anymore. 

"Raph, tell me, did I hurt Pier too much?" Raphael stopped in the middle of talking with Asher at the question.

Did Asher hurt Pier too much?

Pier had been chasing after the Crown Prince for a very long time. Ever since they were out of childhood and started to become teenagers, Pier had always been there for Asher. 

Pier was like a lost puppy that continued to follow its master wherever Asher goes. He continued to do so until Asher was renounced as the Crown Prince at the age of fourteen. 

He attended the gatherings Asher went into, learned how to play instruments even though he truly lacked the talent for it, and became the perfect noble that is fitting for the Crown Prince.

But he never got the affection he wanted to receive from his beloved. It was the story of a hopeless romantic that did not cease to show his love for the Crown Prince.