Chapter 60 - Duel

"Woah, that shit looks scary," Pier whispered as they started to enter the vicinity of the mountain ranges.

It did not help that on their third day of traveling by carriage and arriving at the Mir Mountains, the clouds decided to it was now the best time to cry and pour their hearts out.

The surroundings gave an eerie feeling and Pier felt himself shiver at how quiet the mountain was. Even the sounds of crickets could not be heard.

"Hey, Ciaran, are you sure we're going to be safe in here?" He whispered to the man through the window. Ciaran did not respond but instead just kept his eyes on the road like he usually did when acting as a coachman.

Pier looked around. It was dark and he felt like any moment from now, a huge monster would pop up. Pier readied himself.

He was very nervous and anxious about what he would see as they go in deeper inside the mountain range.

It was still the first mountain and he thought he would get eaten alive.

Only the frequent rattling and shaking of the carriage could be heard between them.

"Wear the cloak I gave you and cover your face. Do not show yourself whatever the cost is," Ciaran spoke after a few minutes of silence between him and Pier.

The young master's anxiousness grew even more at the seriousness Ciaran had in his voice.

"Okay," He spoke silently as he proceeded to cover his face with the oversized black cloak.

Rattle

The carriage rattled again as it hit a rock beneath.

He started to concentrate more so that at any moment when a possible danger comes up, he would be able to defend himself.

He looked at Ciaran.

"Hey, Ciaran, psst!" He called and the coachman nodded his head in recognition towards Pier's calls.

"I don't think I can protect you if a monster suddenly shows up considering I am still learning magic!" He whispered and Ciaran chuckled before nodding his head again.

"I understand. I am able to protect myself, Frosty" Pier looked around again after assuring he only needed to protect himself.

"I heard that this is a monster-infested place, why aren't there any monsters showing up?" He asked after a couple more minutes of riding inside the carriage.

"It's my magic." Pier abruptly turned his head to look at the cloaked man.

"Your magic?"

"Yeah."

"What's your magic?"

"..."

"Just... fending some monsters off," Ciaran explained and Pier raised suspicion in the answer.

'Ah, what do I expect from a suspicious man himself'

He thought. Why would Ciaran reveal all of his cards at the table when he's at an advantage in the situation.

"So does that mean we won't get to face any monsters until we approach your destination?" Pier asked and Ciaran shook his head in response.

"My magic can only be applied to fend off monsters on the first mountain. The creatures on the succeeding mountains are another story though," He spoke and Pier tilted his head to the side.

He breathed a sigh of relief at the explanation but another worry came up in his mind.

"Why's that?" He asked as he adjusted the hood of the cloak to cover his face better as Ciaran had instructed.