Chapter 15: Battle With the Black Rose

"Disciplinary issues in school, destructive behavior, telekinetic abilities...interesting, very interesting..." Commander Koda rambled as he did extensive research on a computer.

"Commander Koda, your duel's starting soon," Lazar called through an immense pile of books.

"Will you leave me alone? I'm still compiling data. I've got 1,872 duels to analyze before I can complete my Black Rose profile!"

/

Fish practically strutted back into the duelists' lounge, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "So, what'd you think?"

"I didn't know you dueled with a water deck! That's so awesome!" Leo cried.

"That knight didn't stand a chance," Luna said.

"One question," Yusei said. "Why did Ransborg keep calling you a witch? He doesn't seem the type to disrespect women...at least, not intentionally."

"Oh, that. Well, you know those weird glowy things that happened when Ak...the Black Rose popped up? Yeah, I've got something like that. Not exactly, but kind of. At least, I think it's somewhat connected to the same thing. I can sometimes see the future, but not all that much, and I can control water, which is awesome! But I also don't do that much, either. I don't want to be too much of a Mary Sue!"

"A what?"

As Dexter launched into the definition of a Mary Sue, Fish flicked her wrist casually. At the same time, water appeared out of nowhere and poured all over Yusei, soaking him.

"Fish!" Lise cried.

"What? His hair looks so much like a crab, I took pity on it and gave it some water!"

"His hair does not look like a crab!"

"It totally does! Look, here are the eyes, these are the legs..."

"Excuse me!" Fish was roughly shoved into Yusei as a girl plowed past them. Her eyes met Lise's for a moment, only a moment, before the girl averted her eyes and kept walking. Lise made to go after her, but Fish, after shoving Yusei away ("We've only known each other for a day, dude!"), placed a restraining hand on Lise's shoulder.

"Let her go, Lise. She's got a duel to win."

Leo spoke up. "Why do I get the strangest feeling that we've seen her before?"

Yusei looked at the two girls. "I don't know, Leo."

/

"Welcome back! Now entering the arena, the dueling detective Commander Koda! And his opponent, the mysterious and beautiful Akiza Izinski!"

"Let's duel!"

Akiza: 4000

Koda: 4000

"I hope you don't mind, but ladies first. I summon Violet Witch!"

(Violet Witch: Atk: 1100 Def: 800)

"And next up, I'm casting the field spell Black Garden!"

"Well, would you look at that. It seems our Black Rose has a green thumb!" Koda taunted.

Murmurs went through the crowd.

"The Black Rose?"

"She's just a myth!"

"Koda is the profiler, though, so maybe he's right."

Akiza played a facedown, paying no heed to the agitated crowd.

"Good move, but entirely predictable," Koda said. "I've been studying you, Black Rose. I know your every card, your every move...your past is a crime scene, and I'm just following the clues. For now, I think I'll just set a card."