Chapter 16: Surprises Galore

"Your duel is up next, Yusei," Lise said.

"Which means Akiza will be coming back from her duel!" Fish said, grabbing Lise and pulling her towards the entrance to the arena. "Let's go see her right now!"

"Fish, wait! We can't just ambush her!" Lise protested, yanking her hand away. Before Fish could respond, Akiza turned the corner and walked straight into Fish.

"Ow...oh, hey Akiza! Nice duel! You really showed that creep who's boss!"

Akia refused to look Fish in the eyes. "Thanks."

"Everything okay?" Yusei asked.

"I'm fine, thank you." As she answered, Akiza's hand went to where her mark had been moments before. Yusei mirrored the motion.

"What's your deal with these marks of ours? When you saw mine the other day, you really freaked out. And what about them?" Yusei motioned to Lise and Fish. "Are you just going to keep pretending you don't know each other?"

"This mark has caused me nothing but pain, so what good can come from having another one around? And as for them, well, I don't even know them anymore."

At that moment, the twins came running up the hall.

"We need you to settle an argument!" Leo said, but he came to a stop when he caught sight of Akiza. "It's the witch!"

"Don't call her that!" Lise, Fish, and Luna hissed at the same time.

"Leo, she's not a witch," Yusei said.

"Sorry," Leo said, hanging his head.

"What's going on back here? Everybody getting along nicely?" Lazar stepped into view. "Quite the duel just now, Miss Akiza, very impressive. Before the next duel gets underway, Director Goodwin has a few things he'd like to talk to you about. I'd say more, but it's strictly confidential. Why don't you come with me and we-"

"Akiza must rest."

A man in a trench coat, along with two other duelists, strode towards the group.

"And you are?"

"Don't play dumb, Lazar. Your reputation precedes you. We both know that you don't like surprises, so let's not waste time pretending you haven't done your homework. Stay away from Akiza, and tell the Director she's not interested in what he has to say." The man put up a hand, and his two companions escorted Akiza out of the competitors' wing, the man bringing up the rear.

Lise shivered, trying to rid herself of the creepy vibe she got from the three people surrounding her old friend.

"Well, the Director will not be pleased with this at all," Lazar said with a pout.

"Oh, don't ask me. I'm sure Miss Kururugi knows it all by now."

When Lazar had gone, Leo said, "That Akiza creeps me out..."

"She's better once you get to know her," Fish said.

"She seems so sad," Luna whispered.

"Lise," Yusei said, "why do you know just as much as the rest of us? What did he mean?"

"He probably meant the Crimson Dragon would have told me everything by now," Lise said, crossing her arms. "But she doesn't tell me anything. What about the Oracle?"

"Prophecies and visions come and go at any time. I can't see the future on command," Fish reminded them patiently.

"Guess that means we're on our own," Yusei speculated grimly.