Chapter 49: Curse of the Spider Part 1

The helicopter flew steadily towards the Satellite. The closer it got, the more treacherous it became. The sky darkened and lightning flashed in all directions. Lise and Fish were doing their best to avoid getting killed by lightning strikes.

"You seem to be in the know." Akiza turned to Meena, anxious for some answers. "What's the story behind this old reactor thing?"

Meena's expression turned dark. "They call it Zero Reverse. A massive energy reactor being built by a group called the RRD malfunctioned, and released a powerful charge of negative energy. That's what separated Satellite from the mainland of Domino City. The head of the reactor research division was Yusei's father..."

"Go back a few," Trudge interrupted. "Why was some nobody from Satellite in charge of such an important project?"

"Yusei and his dad were born in Domino City," Jack explained grumpily.

"So are you saying this Satellite reject isn't actually a Satellite reject?"

Jack's eyes narrowed and his voice went cold with fury. Trudge's eyes widened fearfully. "I was born in the Satellite, Trudge. Got a problem with that?"

"Uh, no, of course not..." Trudge focused his attention to the weather.

"That's right, turn around."

Outside the helicopter, the lightning was getting worse.

"It's okay, Fish," Lise coaxed. The two girls were lagging behind the helicopter slightly. Stupid cowered fearfully against Lise's neck.

Fish's eyes were wide with fear as she stared at the flashes of super-charged light. Each clap of thunder roared in their ears. "But... but..."

"Come on. I'm right here, see?" Lise flew closer and held out her hand. "Just a little closer. We're almost there."

Fish swallowed and shivered. Her water board below her was becoming blurrier and blurrier the longer she stood there terrified, threatening to disappear altogether. "O-o-okay..." Her fingers trembled but she grasped Lise's hand tightly.

"We're gonna make it. I promise." Lise began to pull the both of them forward; if Fish freaked out, it would be easier to carry her to the helicopter than to Martha's house. They caught up to the chopper and hovered beneath its blades so they wouldn't get skewered as well as electrocuted.

"Um, is this lightning bothering anyone else?" Trudge asked. "One strike and we're finished. I'm thinking we should turn this bird around."

"Our primary directive is to reach Satellite," Meena replied firmly.

Yusei got up and put a hand on Trudge's shoulder. With the other hand he pointed down to the island of Satellite. "Set us down near that building in the park."

Trudge scowled and grudgingly steered the helicopter. Yusei took his seat again.

"Almost there!" Lise smiled when she caught sight of Martha's home. Her blue eyes lit up with expectation.

"Uh huh," Fish nodded warily. Her dark brown eyes combed the area crazily for more lightning blasts.

Gently, Trudge landed in front of Martha's orphanage. Blister and Martha stood at the front door. Many of the children watched, huddled behind the adults, to see what was going on. Fish and Lise touched down easily in front of the chopper.

"That could've gone a little better I guess," Lise commented, stretching out her tense muscles. Flying in a storm was stressful for anyone. Stupid fell off Lise's shoulder, his little body twitching. Lise cupped him in her hands to try and comfort the little bird.