Chapter 60: Destiny's Instrument Part 1

The second candle on Roman's candelabra flickered and then went out entirely. "Kalin's flame has been extinguished. How disappointing..."

Roman winced in pain. He pulled back the sleeve of his cloak, revealing the controlling threads of his spider mark stretching across his arm. "The darkness inside of me is growing, but I can't let it overcome me just yet. Not until I've done what I must do." Roman crossed the room and picked up an old photo of himself, his brother and...

"Professor Fudo. It seems the thistle doesn't fall far from the brush. Destiny has made your son a thorn in my side. No matter. I will destroy him just as I destroyed you, and it will be all the sweeter when I have my daughter on the side of destiny."

/

"Um thanks..." Yusei said after a few minutes of silence. He pulled away from Lise slowly. "I should-"

"Yeah I know, it's fine," Lise responded quietly. She used her thumb to rub away the last of Yusei's tears.

Fish tapped her foot impatiently, biting at her lip.

Yusei nodded awkwardly and entered the Giant's tower. He placed Stardust in the card shaped slot, removed it, and ran out quickly to avoid being buried alive. The tower descended into the earth behind him.

"Yusei!" the twins called, waving. Crow, and Trudge stood smiling beside them.

Lise flew back up to the bridge while Yusei took the old fashioned way on his bike. The dragon girl landed and sat on the railing. Fish's surfboard carried her back up to the others, gently depositing her back to Earth. Yusei pulled up and joined the others a few seconds later.

"Nice dueling, man," Crow congratulated. "But um, is that your doing?" He pointed out to a small white bubble in the distance. "That light appeared as soon as you won the duel."

The bubble disappeared, leaving at least two dozen people in its wake.

Trudge's eyebrows slanted downward in confusion. "Who are they? Where did they come from?"

"They're the people that were trapped in Kalin's Immortal. They were set free," Lise explained.

"Awesome!" Crow nodded approvingly.

"Any chance we could shove Yusei into an Immortal for fun?" Fish asked, her tone revealing her complete and utter boredom.

"I'd really rather not," Yusei said.

"I wasn't asking you."

Yusei rolled his eyes. "Anyway, we're not done yet. The gate to the Netherworld is still open and the last two control units still aren't activated."

"How many Dark Signers are left?" Crow asked.

"Three," Lise answered.

Trudge suddenly reached his hand up towards his neck, like he had an unexpected itch.

"Something wrong?" Lise asked him.

A purple spider appeared on Trudge's arm. His expression changed from confusion to menacing.

"Everybody get back! Roman's decided to pay us a visit," Yusei glared at Trudge's body.

Leo and Luna ran back behind Crow's runner. The others took a step back, but Lise didn't budge. She didn't even seem to have heard Yusei at all.

"Lise, you have to move," Fish told her quietly.

"I-I can't." Lise's fingers clutched the railing so hard her knuckles were white.

"Indeed, I have decided to pay you all a visit," Trudge sneered with Roman's voice. His gaze ignored the others and froze Lise to the spot. All he needed to do was take a step forward and he could touch her.