Chapter 19: Spiritual Journey Part 1

Luna...the mysterious voice called. Luna...you've come back...I knew you would one day return to us, Luna. I knew you wouldn't forget the promise you made...You do remember, don't you? You promised to protect all of us here in the spirit world...

"I think you've got the wrong person!" Luna insisted. "Who are you? Not you again..." she whimpered wearily when Ido returned once again.

Luna backed away slowly, and her Sunlight Unicorn charged for the monster. "No! Sunlight Unicorn, wait, come back!" The horn of the unicorn collided with Ido's face, and unharmed, Luna's monster returned to her side.

Luna: 1500

Professor: 3700

A flash of white light engulfed Sunlight Unicorn, destroying her and leaving only Kuribon.

"Sunlight Unicorn...No, this isn't real. None of it is real. It's a dream," Luna hoped, squeezing her eyes shut and clasping her hands.

/

A low merciless laugh escaped the Professor's throat. "Hear my voice. Let it reach you. Right now your spirit is traveling through the spirit world. Tell me everything. Tell me the secrets of that world you're in."

/

Leo! I'm scared! Where are you?

/

"I can't watch anymore," Lise growled.

"That goes for me, too, but what should we do?" Yusei got to his feet.

"I got it," Fish rubbed her hands together. "All I need is a tank of gasoline, a length of rope, a lighter, and a pound of mashed potatoes."

"What!? No! We are not going to kill anybody! And what do you need potatoes for?"

"Mashed potatoes are not fit for consumption."

/

"When Horn of the Unicorn is sent to the graveyard, it returns to the top of my deck. So I am now activating the spell card Emergency Assistance from my hand. This allows me to summon one monster that you destroyed this turn." Luna's voice still sounded indifferent. "I summon Sunlight Unicorn."

"Well, I did not foresee this development," the Professor commented.

"If the card on the top of my deck is a spell card, then I can use Sunlight Unicorn's special ability to add the card to my hand. I equip my steed with Horn of the Unicorn. I place two cards face down. It is your turn," Luna finished.

/

In the spirit world, Sunlight Unicorn returned.

"You're back!" Luna cried happily. "What happened to you earlier? Where'd you go?" Luna retreated when she noticed Ido was back too. "Um, pretty voice from earlier? Is this big scary shadow thing with you?"

Luna, use your Sunlight Unicorn to escape!

Luna obeyed and jumped onto the back of her monster. Kuribon sat with Luna as the three quickly rode away. It squealed anxiously. The trees became darker and deader the farther they went.

"It's okay," Luna comforted him. "What happened to all the trees? What's going on?"

An evil force is attempting to cross the void and access the spirit world. It yearns to corrupt and twist this place, to harness its power for malicious purposes...

"An evil force? That's scary..." Luna remarked, her voice trembling a little.

At the edge of a dry riverbed, Luna climbed off her unicorn's back. A large stone tablet with a skeletal image etched into it loomed over the riverbank.