Chapter 18: Spiritual Journey Part 1

Those in the stands watched the trio and the Professor head back indoors.

"I wish I could duel her," Dexter said.

"She's good, but I've got way better moves then her!" Leo bragged.

"Oh? And where were those moves when you lost in the first round?" Luna bluntly reminded him.

Slightly depressed Leo scowled and hung his head. A new thought occurred to him, and, smirking, he raised his head. "Wait; I was playing as you! Which means that you lost! As far as the millions of people watching think, I didn't lose a thing!"

Luna glowered at her brother and pounded on his back as Leo laughed at her. "That's the last time you duel as me!"

"We have a special announcement!"

Curious, the twins stopped fighting to listen. For once the MC had something worthwhile to say.

"Yes, the rumors you heard are true! Listen up, first-round losers! Don't head for the exits just yet! Rex Goodwin, our master of ceremonies, has set up a losers' bracket for the first round! That means if you lost, grab your deck, because you might get a second chance to duel again!"

Images of Commander Koda, Luna, the Professor, Sir Ransborg and Hunter flashed in front of the crowd.

"All right! My Fortune Cup's not over yet!" Leo cheered.

"Um, technically," Dexter started.

"Save your 'technically' for the blogs, Dex."

"Uh, what Dex means is my name is up there," Luna recollected for her brother.

/

"Goodwin isn't the type to give second chances unless he's going to get something out of it," Yusei remarked.

"I don't like this," Lise pronounced, glaring at the screen.

/

"Now, take your seats! We're about to give two of these duelists another opportunity! First we drew very lucky players, and I assure you it was random, okay? And first up is...everyone's favorite green-haired girl! She's fast, she's feisty, and she has to be home before her bedtime! Give it up for the next generation of dueling superstars, ladies and gentlemen I present to you, Ms. Luna!"

Leo stood, obviously expecting to be mistaken as his sister. Sadly for him, the spotlight fell on the real Luna.

"I can't duel," Luna said.

"Can't duel? But Luna, it was your name on that invitation. You belong here," Tanner broke it to her.

"But I'm her! She can't go out there and duel!" Leo protested.

"Leo, I'm afraid that the jig is up. The crowd wants your sister," Yanagi informed him.

"I can't! You guys don't understand. Something strange happens to me whenever I duel," Luna vaguely explained.

With a huff and an eye roll, Leo reclaimed his seat. "Not again! Quit it with the duel spirits stuff, Luna. You're getting a little too old to be playing make-believe."

"It's not make-believe," Luna insisted. "And if the only way to prove it is by going out there, well then I guess I'll have to duel."

"Okay, but if you win, I get to be you for the next round!" Leo declared.

"Wow, thanks for the support, Leo," Luna spoke sarcastically to her overenthusiastic brother.

To cheers from the audience, Luna picked up her duel disk and slowly made her way down to the duel field.