Chapter 37: It Begins Part 3

"Yusei, the power of my Infernity Archfiend is going to send you to the Netherworld forever!" Kalin boasted.

"Yusei!" Jack yelled.

"Watch out!" Crow warned anxiously.

/

"It's going to take a lot for me to get in there," Lise said, looking on in worry.

Stupid fluttered over to her shoulder, nestling against her cheek.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say he was trying to comfort you," Fish said lightly.

Lise petted the little bird's head gratefully, but it didn't lift her grimace.

/

"The power of your monster is no match for the ability of my Scrap Iron Scarecrow," Yusei just barely countered. "Cuz when this trap is played, it cancels out your attack, and then once it repels your attack, I can place it back on the field."

/

Jack watched from the helicopter's monitor. Good move, Yusei, but you're gonna have to be great to defeat Kalin.

/

Crow breathed, not realizing he'd been holding his breath. That was a close one, but I know it's gonna get even closer cuz Kalin was never one to pull any punches.

/

Fish crossed her arms and scowled. "That card is so confusingly stupid."

/

"Yusei, try and keep up with me," Kalin taunted. "And please, play something new for a change, okay?" He set a card facedown to finish up his turn. "I like surprises, and I hope you do too cuz this trap isn't some old card we've been using since grade school, like that Scarecrow of yours! I've upped my game, have you?"

"Don't need to; my deck has never let me down," Yusei replied confidently.

"Well, there's a first time for everything."

I sure hope he's wrong. Yusei began his next turn. "It's my turn!" And boy was he wrong! "Ya know, I like to do things the old fashioned way, Kalin, so I think I'll play a favorite of mine; Junk Synchron! And with him out, I get to resummons a monster from my graveyard and add him to the field, so I'm gonna summon out another oldie but goodie. Say hello to my Speed Warrior! And while we're playing Yusei's greatest hits, and this one's a classic! I tune my Junk Synchron with my Speed Warrior in order to synchro summon Junk Warrior! Let's rev it up!"

"Not bad," Kalin's black eyes gleamed dangerously. "But way too predictable."

"Well how's this for predictable? I activate my trap Shard of Hope! Now when you take damage, I get to draw a card, and if it's a trap, I get to activate it. And with your monsters in attack mode, it looks like that damage is gonna come sooner rather than later!"

"Don't be so sure, Yusei. I still have my trap in play!"

Kalin's right. Yusei silently admitted. He can still trigger the effect of his Depth Amulet. All he has to do is throw away a card from his hand and my attack is canceled; leaving me out of moves. But I've dueled alongside Kalin long enough to know is that the only thing he hates more than a losing hand is an empty one. There's no way he's gonna risk his hand just to stop my attack, unless that's his plan! "Time to see what he's up to! Junk Warrior attack!"

The purple warrior went in for some hurt, Kalin sneered back at Yusei. "When I said that I upped my game, I wasn't just talking about the cards in my deck, Yusei. I've got a whole new strategy! Depth Amulet cancels your attack!"