Ch8 - Kidnapped

Edaline sat at the dining table in Havenfield thinking of yesterday's events. So much had happened in a day, that she felt overwhelmed. The oath of the brave had been uttered yesterday and she had been told that her daughter was going to be a part of it.

Growing up reading several stories about Oaths of Brave, both fiction and real, Edaline knew, this was going to be dangerous.

It was a tiring thing- being a mother to and loving a person like Sophie. Even before she got to know that sophie was the moon lark and Sophie's relationship with the black swan, she knew that Sophie's life was not going to be easy- transitioning into the elvish world after living amongst humans.

Then, the news came that her biological daughter, Jolie, was a spy for the black swan. Edaline had resented the black swan in the beginning for all they had done to both her daughters. 

But later, she saw sense. She saw the bravery in Sophie's life, face, and the way her eyes sparkled. She knew, whether or not black swan had meddled with Sophie, she had the hero spirit in her.

Nonetheless, it was hard, to see her daughter hurt. Every single time she called Elwin, it hurt Edaline as much as it hurt Sophie, but she knew that the life of a warrior was the only one for Sophie. 

When Edaline got the news that Sophie was injured, tortured, because she refused to speak about Wylie Endal's position, it didn't worry her. Sure, she was concerned. But the concern was swept up in a huge wave of pride for her daughter. 

It made her proud to see her daughter, be noble and do brave things. 

That was till yesterday,  when she saw a side to sophie that she had never seen before. Yesterday, she was not a warrior explaining about the oath to the councillors, no, she was a young girl, talking about her favourite book. 

It wasn't till she saw her eyes shine yesterday that she realised just how dull with worry they had become. Yesterday, she saw a childish, excited sophie. 

She had explained the basic story to the councillors, and then after they left (they said they needed time to process), she had told about silly things like "you drool when you sleep." to her friends and family. 

Sophie had explained about the greek mythology and the modern-day demigods to everyone yesterday. Even though, Edaline was changing her mindset, her first instinct was to blame humans for how messed up it was. 

But how were elves any better? It was seriously messed up to killed hundreds of people just for experiments. 

She realised that no species was good or bad, there good and bad people everywhere. 

Humans are messed up, but there are good humans like Amy, and Sophie's parents.

Elves are messed up but there are good elves like Sophie.

Orges are messed up but there are good orges like Ro. 

Gods are messed up but there are good gods like Hestia.

Demigods are messed up but there are good demigods like Percy, and Annabeth. 

"Lost in thoughts, dungeepie?" Grady asked. Edaline smiled a bit at her old nickname. She hadn't noticed him come sit, despite the T-rex drool stench he reeked of. 

Edaline hummed, and said, "Just thinking of how much childhood Sophie had lost. Besides, what she said yesterday..."

"Its a little overwhelming, I know." Grady said. 

Edaline nodded. She caught Sandor coming down the stairs, with murder on his face. He clutched what looked like a piece of paper in hands. He looked angry, not the usual kind of angry that he looked when Sophie went somewhere without informing him.