Chapter 18

Linh was suffocated. She was covered head to toe with vines, which was making her itch all over, and it brought out memories of the past. Memories she did not want to relive.

Linh was sleeping on open floor of forest, with barely any rags to cover the ground. The gnomes had left before about a month, and they were surviving on bare minimum. And in such a time, she got bit by an insect, which had made her itch all over. An itch similar to the one she felt right now, but then, she had Tam with her.

She had her brother with her, to rub her back to ease the itch. To console her that  everything with be okay, that he was here for her. 

She remembered her brother having her back, fighting with the physician, to get some cure for her.

She saw the apologetic face of the physician, telling him that he didn't have the ingredients for the cure.

She saw the angry face of Tam, saw shadows swirling around them, as he cursed the council, cursed his parents, cursed the stupid insect that bit her.

She remembered the frightened look of the  progidies when they saw the darkness emitted by her brother. 

She saw the broke look on Sophie's face when she told her about what happened to Tam. She heard the sound of Tam, telling her that all is over in Sophie's mind. She knew that it was just a pretence, not true. But she couldn't keep the ringing of those words out of her mind.

She couldn't let the tears slipping down her face. She felt the vines loosen around her. She stood up and looked around her. It was dark, but her night vision training kicked in, and she could see just fine.

She saw beside her, Nico. She remembered what Sophie told her about him. He had lost his sister at a young age and had turned into a scary depressed guy. 

"You are Linh, right? Like a daughter of Poseidon?"

Linh nodded, "A hydrokinetic." He voice sounded cracked, like she had been crying, which she had.

"You can see in the dark?" Nico asked. If he realised that she had been crying, he didn't say anything about it. 

Linh nodded, but didn't trust herself to speak.

"You had been crying." He said. Not a question, but a statement. 

Linh nodded again, but didn't say anything.

"You can tell me, you know. I know all about crying alone in dark." Nico said. It aligned so much with what Tam used to say when they had been newly outcasted, she couldn't hold back her sobs anymore and cried. 

"What...what happened? I..I didn't mean to hurt you. Why are you crying? I should've listened to Will when he said that I need to improve my people skills."

"No, its just that, you remind me so much of my brother, I can't..."

"Is your brother..." Nico started but didn't realise how to end it. He remembered that Chiron told him, that elves had indefinite lifespan, so any death would be a big deal.

"Dead? No. The neverseen took him. Rather, he went with the neverseen to save the alicorns. He...he was so much like you. Shadows, socially awkward, always gloomy, I can't..."

"You know, I lost my sister too. She was like you. Bianca. Her name was Bianca. You know, she have up her life to save people too." Nico said. He didn't know why he was saying that, especially to a person he barely knew. But Linh reminded him too much of Bianca. He couldn't protect her, but this girl, who saw her brother in Nico, he will become her brother. 

He was just going to say that when he heard a terrible growl. 

He turned to look at the monster

He turned to look at the monster. Nico had studied almost all major Greek and Roman monsters. A monster this large and destructive could not have been ignored. Which only led to one option. 

This wasn't a greek monster.

He saw as Linh took out a dagger an chucked it at the monster, aiming for the eye.

Weren't elves supposed to be peaceful creatures? 

The dagger hit the monsters nose, rather than the eye. The nose was cut clean of his face, and the monster groped on his face with his hand. Well, that worked too.

"Well that worked too." Linh said, and Nico gave her a raised eyebrow which was returned with a confused look. 

Nico took the monster's moment of distraction and hit him with his sword in the shins, since that was the tallest he could reach. The sword moved smoothly across the leg, cutting the leg in half.

At least, it was supposed to cut the leg in half. The sword just moved through the leg, with nothing more than a scratch.

Nico tried cutting his leg again, but it was like cutting through water. Then why did he get hurt when Linh attacked him?

Linh took a star of sorts and threw it at his torso. It hit him the monster in the belly, and it doubled over in pain.

"It was supposed to hit his heart." Linh frowned. 

Why was Linh able to hurt it?

"Linh, give me one of your daggers." Nico said.

Linh nodded and gave him. She had also seen Nico unable to hurt the monster. It was probably something to do with the goblin made material. 

Nico threw the dagger with perfect aim at the monster's heart, but it effected him about as much as his sword had. Then it hit him.

The sword was able to cut through its leg like water, because it was water. And just like how skeletons could only be killed by son of Hades, water monster could only be hurt by a hydrokinetic.

He observed the monster. It had inside body of water, but his skin was of tree bark. And tree barks were highly flammable. 

He told Linh to continue hurting the monster, and went to his back to carry out a matchstick. He lighted the matchstick and threw it at the monster. But it blew off in the air. Of course it did. The speed at which it was moving, it was bound to be. He had a bunch of dried leaves and a rope, ambrosia and nectar. He couldn't possibly light the leaves, obviously. 

He lit the end of the rope and when the fire was big enough that he was confident that it wouldn't blow out, he lassoed it and threw it at the monster. Immediately, it bark set on fire, spreading rapidly to other parts of its body. The water inside his skin, Nico realised, was not fast enough to blow out the fire. Thank Poseidon. 

Soon enough, the monster's skin was burnt away and only a puddle of water was left, which took the shape of a human.

A human with its skin peeled, dead.

Linh gagged beside him, and Nico barely resisted.

"Did we...did we just kill a human?" Linh whispered. 

Nico shook his head. "No human can turn into a monster. But whatever it was, tried to kill us. We had no other way."

Linh nodded, and they followed the vines to the entrance of the tunnel, but just like Frank and Hazel, they found it blocked by a solid rock wall. So, they decided to go in the opposite way. They couldn't wait for rescue when the others were probably in as much danger as them, or worse.