Chapter 8

5 years passed since the fall of Wall Maria.

Quite a few civilians, particularly teenagers and young adults, enrolled to become soldiers.

When the time came, the 104th Cadet Corps soldiers graduated. The new recruits had to choose what military branch they wanted to be a part of.

-----

Commander Erwin, Captain Levi, Section Commanders Hange & Miche Zacharius and I stood in front of our remaining veteran scouts and the new recruits. I was going to join the others, but the Commander told me otherwise beforehand.

I stood there, crossed my arms, and took a good look at the "scouts-to-be." The majority displayed fear, looking as if they didn't want to be here despite their decision. However, one in particular caught my attention. Vengeance and determination was written all over his face. I could tell.

The Commander began explaining to the new scouts what the goal was: to save Humanity.

Just like Leon.

While he was delivering his sermon, I realized most of the new male soldiers were directing their attention towards me instead of the Commander. They're obviously thinking with their balls. When they see the shit that's outside the Walls, they'll use their brains for once.

All the stares I was getting made me feel disgusted. Out of nowhere, the memories I've suppressed from long ago came back in fragments. I clenched my fists, hiding them under my cloak. I was frustrated that those horrendous moments crawled back into my mind at the worst time.

I turned to Hange, grabbed her shoulder, and whispered, "I'll be back."

I watched her nod, not looking away from the scouts. I softly sighed, let go, and walked towards the entrance to HQ.

"Where the hell are you going?"

I heard Captain Levi call out to me. I stopped and momentarily looked down at the ground.

"Uh, Y/N said she didn't feel well and was going to get some water," I heard Hange answer.

"Sure," he said under his breath.

Before Y/N could continue walking, he went up to her and grabbed her shoulder. She turned her head, giving Levi an irked look. She smacked his hand off her and continued inside. Levi watched as she entered the building. He was pissed at what she did, but also slightly surprised.

"What the hell is wrong with her," he thought. He huffed, then returned to the recruits. Some murmurs were going around from what just happened, but everyone was quickly refocused and began training.

I went to the Mess Hall and got some water, then sat down at a table. I've been fine after all this time but that fucking ugly, perverse bastard and the bitch I tried to convince myself was "my mother" had to crawl into my mind now! I sighed in irritation. I grabbed my cup of water and chugged it.

Afterwards, I went to rinse it off and left it in its place. I stood in place for a few moments. I want to bury those memories. After a few moments, I calmed down. I adjusted my cloak and returned outside, joining the others.

"Are you better now?" Hange asked as soon as I approached her. I nodded, put my hood loosely over my head and focused on the new recruits again.

Levi momentarily glanced at Y/N, annoyed. He's never had problems with her, mostly since she never speaks. She's usually tentative and minds her business. When it comes to missions and getting other important tasks done, she always makes it her top priority.