Chapter 32

As soon as I woke up, I heard some voices outside my window. I got up and peaked out from the closed blinds, seeing a few scouts outside, socializing.

I stood up from my bed, stretched, then went into the washroom. I cleaned up a bit, then left my room and made my way down to the Mess Hall, seeing a few other soldiers seated at the tables, socializing among themselves. Looks like everyone remained on site today.

"Commander Erwin said we could all take the day off."

I turned around, seeing Hange and her subordinate, Moblit, walk towards me.

"There haven't been any Titans around for the past couple days and he decided it would be best for all of us to recover," she continued.

I glanced at the scouts again. They deserve a break. By the looks of it, most of our veteran soldiers have been taken out. To my surprise, there are a lot more new faces than I expected. I was told some of what's been going on for the past couple missions. From the conflicts that have grown between us and the other regiments to the sudden disappearance of Titans.

"I'm gonna go train," I said to Hange.

"Don't overdo it!" she told me as I walked away. I went to the back of the building, gathered the ODM gear, then went outside to the horse stables.

After I finished preparing my horse, I put on the ODM gear. The familiar feel of the harness and weight of the equipment on my body was comforting to me. It's been a while since I've worn it.

I need to regain my agility and strength.

I can't afford to lack in anything.

Especially now.

I mounted on my horse and made my way to the forest where the Titan decoys were set up.

"..."

When we arrived, I dismounted my horse and adjusted my gear. Some of these decoys are fragile and falling apart. From how beaten up they are, I can tell the Commander has shown the newer scouts no mercy.

These will have to do for now.

Instantly, Y/N put her gear to use. She deployed the grappling hook directly onto a tree trunk, launching herself into the air. As she got close to one of the decoys, she quickly grabbed the hand grips, retrieved a set of blades and in one swift motion, sliced the nape.

She kept up the momentum, propelling herself and targeting each decoy in sight. Despite being bedridden for so long, her skills and the way she handled the gear hardly faltered. The only mistakes she made generally had to do with slightly losing focus on the target.

After some time, she returned to the forest floor, faced away from the decoys.

I put my blades back into the boxes strapped around my thighs and detached them from the hand grips. I turned around, looking at the damage I dealt to the decoys. I ended up decapitating some of them from using too much force.

My mind has been foggy ever since I woke up.

Remembering what happened to me...what took place Underground.

I closed my eyes and let out a subtle sigh. I walked out of the forest, went up to my horse and mounted on it, returning to HQ.

On the way, I kept thinking about my comrades.

Even after what I wrote last night, everything that transpired before they appeared has been ingrained in my mind.

Though I'm grateful for what they did for me...I wasn't strong enough to handle the situation on my own.

I tightened my grip on the reins at the thought.

When I returned, I took my horse to the stables and gave him some water. When he was situated, I went inside HQ and to the storage unit where all the ODM gear is kept. I removed mine and placed them back with the rest of the equipment.

Afterwards, I went to my room, cleaned up, changed, then went back outside. I need to improve my fighting skills. I won't let anything like that happen again.

I went behind the building so I could train. When I got there, I noticed Mikasa there. It looks like she's about to train as well. She turned her head, noticing me.

"Y/N."

I went up to her and she asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Better. I was just about to train." I paused for a few moments, then said, "Since you're here...I have a proposition for you." I could see the curiosity in her eyes.

"Are you up to having a one-on-one match?"

I could tell she was considering it. The last time we fought was back when she was a new recruit. She lacked in different aspects, but since then, she has become an extraordinary soldier. I've wanted to test her abilities, but have never had the opportunity due to recent events.

Now that I'm back on my feet, I think it's time to see what she can do.

After thinking about it briefly, she nodded, agreeing with my suggestion. I nodded back, then took a few steps away.

"Get into position soldier," I said as I slightly stretched, readying myself. I watched Mikasa raise her arms, holding her fists by her face. She's ready.

Instantaneously, both Mikasa and Y/N ran towards each other, dodging and blocking each others attacks. As they sparred, Y/N thought, "She's definitely improved her attacks since then."

Mikasa managed to overpower Y/N a few times, either with a powerful strike or pinning her down in the dust. Neither one of them planned on going easy on the other.

Their brawl got more and more intense with each round they had. It started to catch the attention of the other scouts.

From the window in the barracks, they could hear harsh grunts and loud rustling coming from behind the building. Both Eren and Jean got up from their bunk beds and were shoving each other, trying to look out the window to see what all the commotion was. Reiner, Bertholdt, Marco and the others were curious as well, so they rushed outside.

The female scouts heard the frantic footsteps down the hall and left the barracks as well, following the others out.

When all the soldiers went behind the building, they all watched Mikasa and Y/N in awe as they brutally fought, continuously blocking each other's attacks and distancing themselves, quickly preparing for their next moves.

Y/N particularly caught their attention as she distanced herself. She used her flexibility to dodge and backflip away from her opponent.

It was a mesmerizing sight to see the two strongest female soldiers in the Scout Regiment fight.