Chapter 37

TW:⚠️Bloodshed and mild torture is mentioned in this chapter.⚠️

⚠️Reader discretion is advised⚠️

As soon as I entered, I went up to my desk and took the newspaper out, reading the front page.

As I suspected...we are experiencing famine again.

The government took the money for agriculture to create stronger barriers around Wall Sina...and they're using a bunch of fluff language to make it seem like what they are doing is acceptable...

I continued reading through the pages and towards the end, in smaller print, I found something under an anonymous author. It read:

"...The Military Police Regiment report discovering a secret passageway starting from the Underground District, leading up to Capital Mitras. This may be the reason why there has been an influx in vandalism, robbery, assault, and attempted murders in the districts of Wall Sina. Officials have closed off the area and are worked effortlessly to arrest and deport the criminals back to the Underground..."

I stared blankly at the fine print for a few moments before putting the newspaper back onto my desk. I leaned back in my seat and leaned my head back, glancing at the ceiling. I crossed my arms, then closed my eyes, letting out a deep breath...

Hange told me of a secret path she found some time after she and Leon got me out. She described it as an opening big enough for the average person to get through, but it was very well hidden...

I wonder...

If it was such a discrete location, why did it take so long for the MPs to find it?

Did they have a lead and staked out the area?

No.

If they were aware of the existence of this passageway, they would have closed it up immediately after finding it...

Another possibility could be that people were caught trying to escape the Underground...

Were people lured into using this path?

Did someone purposely disclose its location?

A sudden knock on my door snapped me out of my thoughts. I opened my eyes, unfolded my arms, and sat up, glancing at the newspaper again.

"Come in."

I heard the door open, but no one entered. I looked to the door, seeing Krista standing there.

"What is it?"

"Sorry to bother you but Commander Erwin told me to come get you. He ordered all of us to gather for an urgent meeting."

I nodded at her, then opened the center drawer of my desk, put the newspaper away, then got up from my seat. As I approached Krista, she stepped aside, allowing me to pass by. I closed my door and followed her down the hall and out of the building.

"Did he say what this 'urgent meeting' is about?"

"He didn't," she answered. I hummed in response.

When we got outside, I saw the scouts getting into formation, facing the Commander, Section Commander, and Captain. I joined the other soldiers, standing in my spot in the front row, waiting for instruction.