XVIII

Parked out front of the house in the driveway, I see Aella's Jaguar. In the sunlight, it sparkles more than any car I've ever seen. It's perfectly clean, like not a single drop of water has ever touched it.

"C'mon, Darling", I hear Aella from behind me, closing the front door to my house. "Let's get you a dress."

Aella double times it to the passenger door, and she opens my door before I'm able. "Madame, your ride."

I giggle quietly and sit in my seat. She walks around the back side and opens her own door, plopping herself in the driver's seat. Aella turns in the key in the ignition, puts the car into drive and pulls out of the horseshoe driveway, down the long drive covered with willow trees, and out onto the street towards the city.

As we drive, I can't help but feel free with her. Even just sitting in the car with her, I feel so liberated from my prison-like life at home.

When we turn to get onto the highway, Aella gently rests in hand on my thigh, the other gripping the top of the steering wheel. Her fingers softly grip my thigh, and I rest my hand on top of hers. She looks over at me as she drives for just a moment, and I look back to meet her gaze. It's too loud with the air whipping around us, but I just want her to tell me everything about her life. I want to know what she was like before she joined our family. She said she had girl friends. What were they like? What was her family like? Did they know she was a lesbian? Is she a lesbian, or is she bisexual?

My daydreams come to a halt when we get off the highway a few minutes later in the city. Aella slows the car, and takes her hand away from my thigh to turn onto the street. We take a few more turns and we end up in front of Castellanos, a dress shop I've been to hundreds of times before for previous dresses. Usually, I go with Mama, but she's in Italy again with her sisters.

The valet takes Aella's car away when we both get out, and we walk into the store. Every wall is white, with very tiny gold accents everywhere. "Penelope", I hear from the back of the store. I turn to see Francine, the lead consultant. She's helped me with my dresses since I was little. She has sort of watched me grow up.

"Oh, Francine." I gleam, walking over to her. She grabs my wrists and holds my arms out, as she's done for at least 15 years, if not longer. She looks me over.

"My my, Penelope. You are growing up so much. You are a gorgeous young girl".

"Francine", I laugh. "I'm twenty-two, I haven't grown in almost six years."

"But you continue to mature, my Sweets. But you will always be my Little Butterfly", she lets go of my arms, smiling at me. "What are we looking for today?"

"We're having another Gala on Friday night. I need another dress, of course".

I look to my left, watching Aella look over the racks of dresses on the far wall. Francine looks over at her as well. "Oh, my Penelope, who is this lovely woman?"

"This is my new guard, Francine. This is Aella". Aella turns around to look at us, and she starts over towards us. Her stride is quick, her long legs bringing her over swiftly.

"Oh my, my, Aella", Francine glows when she talks to people. "You are one beautiful woman. I am Francine."

Aella sneaks a look at me, but looks right back to the small dress consultant. "Thank you, Francine. It's lovely to meet you."

"You as well, My Sweet", Francine gleams. "What do we think for Penelope this time?"

Aella smiles again. "Oh, I would have no clue. Just something beautiful, of course".

Francine turns to me. "Do you have any styles in mind this time?"

"You know I always let you pick the dresses, Francine. Come on", I giggle.

Without another word, Francine is off looking through her racks of dresses. She calls another younger woman over with a mobile rack, where Francine hangs her dresses of choice. Most are very dark colors, black, navy, burgundy. She picks a bright red, and an emerald green as well. A third lady comes over to me and whisks me into the dressing rooms in the back hallway.

Francine comes in quickly behind me, with the rack of dresses behind her. I watch Aella sit down on a bright white couch outside of the dressing room, adjusting her coat to sit comfortably. She crosses her left leg over her right, and leans back to get comfortable, knowing she'd be here for awhile.

Francine pulls in the dress rack and closes the heavy satin curtain, closing her and I off from everyone else. I undress and she starts to take the green dress off of the hanger, ready for me to step in to.

"I know we are not a fan of bright colors, but I thought you would like the style and cut of this dress, so it's a bit of a stretch."

I step into the dress and Francine pulls it up over me. It's strapless, with a plunging neckline, and a hugging figure. I turn to the mirror as she zips up the back. "Oh, I do love the figure. It's beautiful."

"It fits you perfectly. Do you want to show Aella?"

There's something about Aella seeing me in a dress like this that starts churning butterflies in my stomach. It's just weird. I nod to her though, and she shoves the curtain open. I turn so Aella can see the front of me. She stares intently at me, and I feel vaguely embarrassed. She blinks herself out of her stare and smiles. "You look amazing", she says.

"I don't know if I love it", I turn my eyes away from Aella to Francine. "The green just isn't me".

"That's exactly what I was thinking." Francine quickly shuts the curtain and unzips my dress. "Sweets, Aella is a very beautiful woman. You have very good taste. What happened to Ace?" she whispers.

I turn to look at her. "How did you-?"

"Please, Penelope, I know you better than you think".