LX

It has been one month since my wedding, and one month since I saw Aella last. My body has started to waste away, and I'm okay with that. The sooner I leave this world, the sooner I'll probably see Aella again. 

Monsters like Paolo don't feed their prisoners; Aella has starved to death by now if he hasn't already killed her. The torture she must be going through makes my body wither into itself. If she is alive, it's just to torture what is left of her, and to send her decrepit body back to us in a box at one point or another. 

I'm only able to sleep when Ace is with me. It took two weeks for me to sleep more than a few minutes at a time, but Sofia had had a weird idea that if Ace would stay with me until I fell asleep, and just sleep in the same room as I, maybe I'd sleep a bit better. That night, I slept in one of the guest rooms, and Ace stayed up until I fell asleep. I slept for about five hours until the nightmares kicked in again. 

Papa came back to Italy last week. He had to go home to take care of some of Paolo's men who had infiltrated our home base, so they're gone now, and his assistant is in charge of the city until he returns. Him and Ace are up every day searching for any sort of clues that could lead them to where Paolo's hide out is, but we're no closer to where we were the first week. 

Mama has forced me to take up coloring in adult coloring books to pass my time. Somehow, she thought it was a good idea to time me and see how quickly I can finish a page perfectly. It's just to get my mind off of everything, and I enjoy the peaceful thinking for a moment or two, but I do it mostly to make her think I'm getting my mind off of everything. 

I sit at the table on the patio and finish up a coloring page as Mama, Mari, and Sofia chat amongst themselves. I concentrate on the fine lines on the paper in front of me.

Papa and Ace suddenly come through the door to see us outside. I sit up straight and wait for them to say something, as they both look like they have something to tell us. 

Ace sits down next to me, and Papa stands behind Mama, a hand on her shoulder. "We think we've found where they are. At least the general vicinity."

I stare at Ace in disbelief. "So, what does this mean?"

"It means we're getting closer to finding Aella, and taking down Paolo", Papa continues. "We do currently have reason to believe she is still alive, based on the phone call records from Paolo's wife's phone."

"You've been tracking his wife?"

"For awhile now, yes. It's off most of the time, but it pinged from a cell tower near Laga di Bracciano."

"That's not far", I feel hopeful for the first time in a month. 

"No, it is not", Ace reassures me. "We are going to go up there now to see if we can find anything to lead us closer. We will be back tonight, hopefully with some more news."

Ace and Papa are quick to rush out again, after both leaving a kiss on the top of my head. Their words swirl through my head over and over. I trust the both of them with every ounce of what is left of me. I trust that if they think she is still alive, then she is still alive. 

Aella's POV

The only thing keeping me from death is the kind woman that is Paolo's wife. She feeds me every day when Paolo leaves the house. Though, as much as I love this woman for it, I just wish they would put me out of my misery. 

My body is raw, sore, cut open, and damaged. Though I haven't looked in a mirror since my wedding way, I know I look nothing like I used to. I can see my bones popping out of new places and my skin looks almost see though. 

Paolo's assistant comes to pay his visits when he seems to have a little bit of extra time. He knocks me out so I can't fight back, then shows what kind of man he really is. I wake up even more bloody and sore than I was before.

When he leaves, and I wake again, I sit and allow myself to cry. Unfortunately, my body is so dehydrated, no tears fall, so I just whimper to myself until my body allows itself to fall asleep for maybe an hour or so.

At the usual time, Paolo's wife comes down with a bowl of soup broth and vegetable. She sets it on the table closest to me and helps me upright to feed me. 

"I turned my cell phone on", she tells me in her usual hushed tone. "I hide it from Paolo so your family can see it."

"You're going to get hurt", I tell her, my throat hurts from screaming and dehydration. But the first spoonful of soup is a beautiful feeling. "You can't be doing this. Paolo will kill you."

"I love Paolo, and he loves me. But his hatred for Marcello and your kind needs to end. This will just get us all killed, and I cannot see my husband die."

"Then let me die", I almost plead. 

"I'm trying to get you out, stupid girl." She feeds me another bite of soup. "And I hope your family kills that ridiculous assistant for what he's doing to you."

The wife continues to feed me, but the bowl is small, and while I want more, I understand feeding someone in my condition more than that is more harmful than helpful. 

"I'll turn the phone on again tonight, while Paolo and I are gone. Maybe your family can bring you home tonight without a fight."

She starts to leave, but before she can, I stop her. "Thank you. For your help."

The wife smiles at me, then proceeds to lock the door as if she'd never been there.