XLIII

It's now been a month since Aella and I were on our way to have dinner and we were hit by a car in our own lane.

Yesterday was my last doctors appointment to look at the incision on my stomach. It's healed almost completely to the point it will not just be a scar, not even an incision.

Aella and I have gotten into a routine for the most part, when it comes to living in the house together. It was hard the past few weeks to not have sex, but it was the doctor's orders, and neither of us wanted anything to happen to my healing process.

After my appointment yesterday, Aella had to leave for a meeting in northern Italy, leaving me alone in the house for the night. I did enjoy a little bit of alone time that didn't involve her ignoring me. I took a bath while listening to music, then got out and watched a movie on the couch in our sitting room. Our cook made me my favorite pizza, and I binged on American snacks I missed a lot since leaving home.

I wake up the next morning with it snowing outside. It's extremely abnormal for here, but it reminds me of home. Everything I can see out the window is covered in the lightest layer of snow that makes everything so serene and beautiful.

I roll out of bed, grab a sweatshirt and some leggings from the closet, then head into the bathroom for a shower. The shower has become just slightly less complicated to figure out, but I still would love a normal shower back.

The shower is warm, and it hits my body just the right way to soothe my muscles that still get sore sometimes. I simply stand under the hot water and let it run over my body. I stare off into space for a good long while before the water starts to get cold.

Stepping out of the shower, my body gets cold again, so I wrap myself in one of Aella's towels, which are bigger and thicker than mine. I brush through my hair that's getting way too long, then dry off my body and get dressed.

As I walk back out into our room, I hear my phone ringing from my bedside table. On the screen is the picture of Aella and I at the Head of House party last month, showing me that Aella's calling.

"Hey", I answer the phone.

I can hear the smile in her voice. "Hello, Topolina. How did you sleep?"

I lay down on the bed, placing my arm behind my head. "I would have slept better if you were next to me." This was the first time that her and I had not slept next to each other since moving to Italy.

"I know, My Love, but I will be home in a few hours." 

I sigh quietly. "I know. But I still miss you."

"Oh, my Darling. I miss you so much. But I am already on my way back. Wait at the front door for me if you must", she jokes. 

"I'm gonna call Mama today. I haven't spoken to her in awhile".

"Do whatever your heart desires, Topolina." I can hear her smile in her voice. "I gotta go. I'll see you in a few hours." She hangs up the phone. 

I head down the stairs when I hear a car come up the driveway, it seems very different than the cars that come up our driveway. It's loud, like Aella's car that got totaled in the crash. I look out the large window next to the front door to see an old Ferrari with gold rims and details parking in front of the door. 

The driver shuts off the car and gets out quickly. It's a woman. She looks very similar to Aella. Very tall, perfect hair and perfect clothes. She's wearing heavy leather combat boots, a slim black suit to match. Her hair is lighter in color than Aella's, almost blonde. She has extremely chiseled details, like a vogue model. 

I take a few steps back from the window and wait for her to knock on the door. I give it a few seconds then open it. The woman stands with confidence, like she had no flaws. 

"You must be Penelope." She looks me up and down before I can say anything to her.  

"And you are?" I try to act all confident along with her. 

"I'm an old friend of Aella's. From when she first joined the family." She holds out her hand for me to shake. "I'm Giulia".

I seem to stare at her for what feels like too long, taking in the beauty of this woman. Aella is still a million times hotter. "Come in. Aella will be home soon."

She silently agrees to my approval to enter the house. I don't know what to do with her really. I only know her name and that she's part of the family. I've never heard of her before, so she must not be very high up. She could be a runner, or some sort of assistant to someone higher up, or a guard, we have thousands of guards. 

I lead her into our enclosed back porch, as it's too cold to go out to the main patio. I ask one of the guards to go get us coffee from the kitchen. "So what brings you here, Giulia?"

"Well", Giulia clears her throat. She leans back in her chair and crosses her legs. I feel under dressed sitting next to her. "I heard Aella was back in Italy, and I wanted to come by to see her. I haven't seen her in years."

Her accent is even thicker than Aella's. She continues to study different parts of me. "How long have you known Aella."

"Her and I go back years. I helped her join the family back then."

Our cook brings us a tray of coffee, which seems to break the tension between us just a little bit. "So", I try my hand at confidence again. "Do you have any stories about Aella? She won't tell me anything about the last few years." 

For the next hour or so she tells me stories about Aella. They all seem very vague, but it helps me understand a little bit more about my partner. She was a lot more fun right in the beginning, but then started to lay low and focus on the family instead.

With my back to the door into the house, I don't notice when the front door opens and closes again. I see Giulia's eyes bounce from me to someone behind me. 

She stands suddenly, a huge smile on her face. "Aella", she gleams.

"Penelope", I hear Aella say sternly behind. I spin around in my chair. Her eyes are set firmly on Giulia. "Come over here."