XXI

Tonight is the Gala, so Mama and I do our little ritual. We go to our favorite hair salon for them to do our hair and makeup, then we go to get our nails done. 

I choose to do my nails an emerald green color. The same color I wore in lingerie the night Aella and I first got together. My shoes match the same shade. Mama chooses a deep purple to match with her dress. 

The nail techs start on our nails. "How is your dating life going? I heard you went on a date the other night."

"I did", I confirm for her. "He was very nice. I'll probably see him again in the next-"

"Come on, Penelope." My mother stops me. "I know you are with that guard of yours, Aella". 

Aella, and Mama's guard, Gerome, stand on either side of the main door outside of the nail salon. I sneak a glance at her. I smile in my head. 

"How did you think, Mama?" I act confused. 

"Please, Penelope, I'm not stupid. I'm your mother. I've known you since before you knew you. The way you two look at each other. How much time you two spend alone in either of your rooms. How loud whichever one of you is at night. The entire family knows Aella is having a lot of fun most nights since she showed up here."

"Mama", I screech. 

"Oh, hush, child. You're twenty-two years old. You're allowed to have fun. As long as you're safe, and you're happy, that's all I care about."

"Please don't tell Papa, Mama", I plead. The nail tech starts to paint my nails with gel paint. "He'll take Aella away from me."

"You sound like you're in love already." Mama scoffs. "I won't tell him. I want you to be happy, not miserable. Your life stuck in that house is miserable enough."

Am I in love? No. I've known her for a month. I can't be in love with anyone that quickly. And I still don't know a lot about her. 

"I'm not in love, Mama", I retort. She gives me a look. "I barely know her. We're just having... fun, right now."

"She took you on that date?"

I nod my head. 

"Did you feel more alive than you ever have? Like she is the key to a good life?"

Why is my mother actually in my head? Why does she do this to me?

"Yes", I say quietly. "How do you-"

"You're in love, my daughter", she smiles at me. "I felt the same way with your father. I knew he was the one when I felt those exact things. And I knew within a week of meeting your father"

"But I don't even know if I like women".

"You don't have to like all women." Mama's gonna start getting philosophical. "You don't have to be attracted to a whole gender to be in love with one person. Love who you want to love. If that person isn't a man, so be it."

I don't know what to say. I'm speechless, and I start to tear up. 

"Oh, please Penelope." Mama laughs. "Stop crying. How was your date? What did you two do?"

I tell her about our date as our nails harden under the blue light. About how magical the night was. "My last question for you, my Love. Did Ace ever make you feel like that?"

"Not once."

She gives a small smile. "Then you know you made the right decision."

~~~

Mama and I get home after having a late lunch. She goes to her own way to find my father. Aella was sent off early to be able to get ready for the Gala as well. The caterers are getting our living room and dining room ready for the hundreds of people expected to make an appearance, whether they live in the house, live in the city, or from Italy. Ace might be here. 

When I walk into my room, there's a small box and piece of paper laying on my bed. 

On the front of the paper, it says Poppy. Knowing the only person that calls me that is Aella, I'm slightly afraid of what it's going to say. 

Your punishment is not over, Topolina. Please wear this tonight. I will see you later.

I open the box, and gasp quietly at the contents. It's a small v!brator meant for my underwear. It's a small pink button, almost, with a small hole at the top where my own button is supposed to be. 

Knowing how fun this might be, I start to change into my Gala outfit. I strip out of the t-shirt and shorts I was wearing before, change my panties so they can't be seen through the slit up the dress. I position the little toy in my thong to cup my button. Then I slip the dress onto myself. The alterations make it perfect, hugging every curve I own. The top cups my breasts perfectly, holding them up. The bodice hugs my waist and my hips, then is falls over my legs. The slit comes up to my thong string, so I tape it up with fashion tape so no one sees anything. 

I go into my closet and strap my green shoes onto my feet. When I stand, I stare at myself in the mirror. I think this is the best dress I've ever picked for any of these parties. The rest were boring, sometimes shapeless. This one makes me feel like I've finally grown up, like I'm a woman, not a little girl.

A knock on my door comes, telling me the party is in full swing, and that I should probably make my appearance. I take one last look at myself, then leave my room.

As I walk down the hallway, I hear the familiar sound of the band playing for us in the dining room. It's faint from where I am, but continues to get louder as I walk.  

At the top of the stairs, I observe my surrounds of everyone in the foyer. Men and women in suits and dresses. I watch groups of people talk, and laugh, and console one another. 

With a glass of champagne in her hand, Aella stands talking to a group of men around her age, a little older than me. I watch her for a moment before my stare must burn though her skin. She turns to look up at me. She wears her usual suit, but it's not the same. She has no undershirt, so her breasts almost pop out. Everything about her suit fits her absolutely perfectly, just as my dress fits to me. 

I slowly make my way down the stairs. I watch Aella excuse herself from the men she was talking to, and she meets me at the bottom of the stairs. In my heels, I'm closer to her height than I usually am, but she still stands taller than I. 

Aella bends forward to whisper in my ear. "Are you wearing our little friend, Topolina?" I nod my head. "Good girl."

"I have to go find my father." I make an excuse to leave. Otherwise I would get flustered and kiss her in front of everybody. I hear her chuckle, and I walk away.