32. Feelings...

In the morning, by the time the prince's sleep broke

In the morning, by the time the prince's sleep broke. He expected his eyes to meet with a furious Zhan. He knew that the officer wasn't pleased with what he did the day before. If only he wasn't hurt, the officer would have given him a sound scolding that instant. The handsome face of the officer that was drenched in fear and pain is still lingering in front of his eyes. The image that was so imprinted in his mind that he could never forget. Maybe, he should have thought of another way, a better way to stop that person from hurting Zhan instead of putting himself in danger. Being a person who knows well enough how it feels when someone you care for gets hurt, for you, he should have handled the situation in a better way. After all, he himself hates it when people do that for him. He did feel a little guilty about bothering the people around him but did not regret what he did. Even if he was given another chance, he would still make the same choices. So the prince was okay with facing Zhan's wrath since he caused pain to the other.

But can he even be blamed? The prince's mind just went blank seeing the gun pointed at Zhan. The only thought that ran within his mind was to protect the officer, let no harm reach him much less touch him. So he ended up acting on his impulse without thinking about the consequences. But he didn't regret, nor would he ever regret it. That was the reason why the prince had an unwavering smile on his face even when the bullet pierced his skin tearing it apart, even when the blood gushed out of it, was because he didn't really feel any regret or fear about what was to come at that moment because all he thought about was he successfully saved the officer and the prince was content that he got a chance to live the life he always dreamt of because of... Zhan.

The most exquisite thing about such a dread situation is that it helped the prince realize what really mattered to him, the most and it was... Zhan. He was somehow glad that this incident had occurred because, if it wasn't for this, the prince might have just returned to Gusu even without realizing what he was leaving behind. It taught the prince a lesson he had forgotten. That life is too short and if we keep on postponing the things in hope of doing them tomorrow who could guarantee that we won't regret it later. The only right thing one could do to make this short yet beautiful life worthy is by living it in the way they want to. So that even if things doesn't go the way we wanted them to, we can still be glad that we did what we wanted. It wasn't like he didn't know it before, he, in fact, lectured the officer about the same a lot of times. But as it is said, it's easier to preach but not to follow. Then again it wasn't like the prince knew and chose to be silent, he was just unaware of what those feelings meant. That's where this incident acted as a catalyst.

Now that the prince thought about it, there has always been a magical connection between them. Since the first time they met. The officer who is known for his indifference cared enough about the prince that he carried him all the way to his house even when the prince acted like an arrogant brat doubting him all the time, and even after the way the prince punched him the moment their eyes meet. Till today the prince couldn't help but grin whenever he remembers it. From that very time, the prince never ceased going after the officer. Be it betting with Zhan about being the one to protect him, though reluctant obeying the officer every time they had a serious argument, then came the marriage, and of all people the chosen was Zhan. It was as if there was some kind of force that kept bringing them together.