40. The first kiss (Finally!)

The effort of landing into the room through the window was forgotten in an instant as the prince was blessed with the view of Zhan sleeping peacefully. It's been two days since the officer was discharged. The prince made sure that the officer didn't go anywhere near his work. The two days passed blissfully without the both of them realizing the time. And the prince did not leave Zhan's side for more than half an hour. That half an hour too was just to get back to his room so that he could freshen up and get ready. The prince didn't have to make the effort of descending into Zhan's room through the window in the mornings. Because it was Zhan who came to his room as he was the security in charge of the prince. Together they would spend the rest of the day doing whatever they wanted. Be it Zhan sitting in the prince's study admiring him while the prince went through his Royal duties which he has been ignoring or the duo sitting in the garden without a care enjoying each other's company.

For the time being the prince opined that it would be better not to make their relationship too obvious. The prince knew that the people around him loved gossiping and the last thing he wanted was for his uncle to hear about him and Zhan from someone else. Even though he himself wanted to go and tell his uncle the said person was in another country at the moment. It wasn't something he wanted to speak about on the phone. Hence they decided to be a little subtle at the moment. Not that they hid their relationship, they just chose to not show it off. Due to this, the prince would sneak out into Zhan's room during the night. Which was just below his thanks to his right-hand man. With careful, tip-toed steps, the prince made his way towards the officer's bed. At one glance, the prince noticed that the officer slept on the same side he used to sleep on when they used to share a bed. Just the mere idea that the officer was still using the same pattern despite his absence made the prince's heart swell in happiness.

Usually, the officer would be awake by the time the prince returned. They would talk or argue about something too stupid to remember the next morning and fall asleep. The prince just didn't pay much attention to their sleeping positions until now. And no one could blame him for that though. With Wei Zhan in front of him, it was obvious that he didn't pay attention to anything else. Their sleeping positions were set when they began to share a bed. As the days passed, it became a habit for the prince to sleep on his side even when Zhan wasn't there due to a meeting or just because he woke up early. Even after he returned, Yibo couldn't help following the same sleeping pattern. Now that he saw that the other wasn't any different, the prince couldn't help but fall a little more in love. Though he presumed it was impossible. Taking his side on the bed, Yibo finally felt at home with Zhan beside him, even the palace he always thought of as a cage no longer seemed that bad. Maybe that is why we all need someone who can make us feel at home, someone whose presence can make hell feel like a paradise. After days of torment and agony, his heart was finally calm. Like, after years and years of wandering his heart was where it was meant to be.

The prince moved a little closer to the officer, not touching him quite yet, but not that far from him either just the way they used to sleep in their house. 'Their house' those words made a beautiful smile bloom on the prince's face. Yibo couldn't help the fondness that rose in his heart knowing that his proximity alone was enough to calm the officer down. As he watched their conversation from the hospital played in the prince's ears replacing his fond smile with a sad one. The prince clearly knew from the start that the officer had a tough childhood. But now that he knew actually how tough it was he could only blame the heavens for giving such a miserable fate to such a wonderful person.

 But now that he knew actually how tough it was he could only blame the heavens for giving such a miserable fate to such a wonderful person