41. The Inner Demons

The officer woke up to the harsh knocking if not to the banging on the door as a feeling of pure irritation soared in his chest. It was too early in the morning to be woken up in such a punitive way. But as soon as his eyes were open and he took a glance at the person who lay in his arms looking so comfortable with a small curving his lips as if he was dreaming of something pleasant, all Zhan could feel was peace and contentment settle into his heart making a wave of warmth spread across his whole body. Making his arms around the prince go a little tighter, which in turn made the prince snuggle a little closer.

Visiting his father's grave, pouring his heart out in front of the prince, knowing that all his feelings were returned with equal if not more intensity was more than Zhan could ever wish for, right now as he slept with his whole world in his embra...

Visiting his father's grave, pouring his heart out in front of the prince, knowing that all his feelings were returned with equal if not more intensity was more than Zhan could ever wish for, right now as he slept with his whole world in his embrace, he could not help the smile that bloomed on his face. How could he? Despite what the situation was, as long as he had his adored person, in his arms nothing could go wrong. He would not even complain about the pounding of the door every day if only could wake up to the unearthly face that was a few inches from his own like this.

Even though it has been just a few days since he was being greeted this way every morning Zhan knew that he would never be able to get used to this feeling. The kind of happiness he never thought he even deserved. Call it his inner demons or his own insecurities he could not even imagine someone loving him for who he is, much less someone like Yibo. Yibo who did not just accept all of him, but loved and embraced him, when the officer himself had to tussle in accepting himself. Each morning, waking up this way, he could find himself falling more and more for the person in his arms. Because before the prince, the officer could not even comprehend the thought that he could ever have this kind of love where you would fall for the person a little more than the day before. It was as if his love for the prince was an endless pit into which he was falling and falling willingly.

The spell was broken by the banging of the door which became more frequent. Though he did not want to, the officer slowly began to unravel himself from the grip of the prince, who appeared to be a little too displeased from the lack of his human pillow, which the officer had become in the past few days, if the frown on the prince's face was any suggestion. Feeling a little guilty for depriving the prince of his solace the officer placed the pillows around the prince tucking the prince in the warmth of the blankets. Even if it could not replace him it will have to do for now until he gets rid of the problem at his door. Given the fact that the frown on the prince's face had disappeared the officer assumed his efforts were fruitful.

Opening the door in his sour mood (which was rare these days, thanks to the prince) the officer came face to face with the grumpy Jiang Cheng. But from the expression on his face, the officer could feel his irritation being replaced by alertness. It was unusual for Jiang Cheng to show up unless it was something perilous.

"What is it?"

"His majesty his back and wants to meet his highness."

"This early?"
The officer could not help but ask since it was just about six in the morning.