Sasuke and Suzuka

< Happy birthday to Naru ! This is really just for the occasion, hope you'll enjoy !>
______

The first time Sasuke had seen Suzuka, she struck him as odd. Different but not entirely in a bad way. Her completion was so exotic compared to what he'd been used to. Her personality also seemed peculiar... There was this something special - like she wasn't apart of his world. And it fascinated him. Just as much as it made him feel inferior. Much like Itachi - yet so differently, she seemed to stand way higher than he did. Sasuke had always been one to admire strong, special people. He couldn't help but to be drawn to them and strive to be one of them. However, his inability to reach their level in everything was weighing him down. Crippling inferiority kept him from truly walking forward.

If you asked Suzuka about it, she'd say it's because unlike the people he admired, Sasuke didn't grow up in a situation that required he put his every capacity and ability into learning and adapting. Shisui, Itachi, Kakashi, herself... Beyond genius was the need to grow up fast. Sasuke had been protected from this. While it wasn't a bad thing, some people made it look so.
Suzuka always thought Sasuke was strong. He wasn't broken like them. And he could recover. Unlike her who had given up on herself.

Sasuke couldn't really remember how he fell in love. Or rather, how he came to love Suzuka since it wasn't anything as radical or sudden as "falling". It just became evident. She made him feel at peace. And yet... Sometimes her presence was painful. When people were around, praising her, admiring her... He did so as well but when she was here, he felt nonexistent. Transparent. It made him feel quite guilty to have such considerations but he wished he would be seen as strong or even stronger than her.

That was his education. After all, Suzuka had also been raised amongst the clans people and she knew of their way. Not that it was much different in the rest of the village. Sasuke had to be better than her because he was a male and she was a female. In many people's eyes, that was enough of a reason to belittle his ability, including his own father. She always felt a bit saddened by the jabs Fugaku would throw at Sasuke in her presence. It became even more complicated when Sasuke himself started distancing himself from her. Snarky remarks and disdain were now their only interactions. She regretted the time they were close...

After the Massacre, it was so lonely. At this time, Sasuke wished he had someone by his side yet at the same time couldn't bear the thought. What would happen to that person in the future ? He couldn't afford to stray away from his goal. He couldn't afford to suffer from another loss. So he completely cut ties with Suzuka. The hurt in her eyes whenever passerby's accused her of fomenting the whole scheme was almost unbearable. He knew for a fact it wasn't true. He knew so but... He never stood up for her. He needed to keep her away so he wouldn't grow attached - well, not more than he already was. So when Iruka announced the teams, he should have been bothered, right ? Yet he felt immense relief and excitement at the news. He was falling more and more and he had no idea why.

She didn't know how she really felt. She was both annoyed and enthusiastic by the composition of her team. Part of her probably hoped for a fresh start with two of the only people she had ever grown attached to. She had even noticed the gleam in Sasuke's eyes. She had hoped... and been disappointed again and again. Did they not try hard enough? Was it just not meant to be ? Sometimes Suzuka felt like her disagreements with Sasuke and Sakura could have easily been avoided.

Sasuke had to admit he had grown fond of his team. Even Sakura did her best - what she thought was her best at least. He could feel connections and bonds creating and mending as they spent time together. And at the same time, the slightest incident would destroy it all. As if they all tried to go against it. As if they all wanted to keep the others as far away from themselves as possible. But something irresistible kept bringing them closer. Maybe the fact they could relate to each other on some level...