For what purpose

The list was in. Neji's gaze swept over it - at this point, everyone had a chance to win. He doubted anyone was truly inferior to anyone else here.
His opponent was strong and he was at a disadvantage since she used long-ranged attacks. However, if he got close enough, she would have trouble fighting back. Suzuka had taught him to be prepared so he would do just that. He also needed to study the styles of everyone else as well because the pairs for the next round would be randomized too. He had to be prepared for any opponent.

Light footsteps behind him caught his attention. A familiar face greeted Neji and a small smile made its way on his face.

" - How are you, Hinata ?

- Fine, thank you but I should be the one asking that.

- I'm fine I suppose, though I can't deny how stressful the whole ordeal is.

- Yes... Not only the tournament, but also the tensions between the villages and now this ?

- It is troublesome that Uzushio has so many reasons to hold grudges against us but we should move forward to brighten our future.

- And challenge our fate ?

A knowing smile was exchanged between them and Hinata sighed softly.

- I don't know if this story about Suzuka leaving Sakura to fend for herself is right but...

- Does it matter ? We don't know what happened exactly and regardless of the truth, Suzuka is our friend. She'll work this out fine.

- That's right. Talking about working things out... - her gaze fell on the younger Hyūga from Uzushio and she frowned a bit. - Do you want to try talking to Hakuchō ?

Neji followed her gaze and he thought for a bit before silently nodding. They walked toward the young girl who looked surprised to see them.

Muzai was watching from afar, lost in thoughts. He wondered how Hakuchō would react to these two. Although she had notorious bad blood with the Hyūga, it seemed like Neji and Hinata were genuine and open-minded. They might actually help her mend those wounds.

- I hope they'll be able to get along, Chō needs to make peace with her past.

- God fucking damnit, Kayō !

- Surprised you ?

- You do it on purpose, don't act like you didn't mean it.

- Is it because of puberty you're so grumpy ?

- I swear to God-

- Are you two fighting ?

- No Sakuya-sensei !

Sakuya's arrival immediately quenched the argument and the two boys walked away to avoid getting in trouble.
The silver haired jōnin sighed before her gaze fell back on the list.

- Of all people...

The different groups slowly filtered out of the Uzukage Tower, reaching their hotels to prepare for the next trial.
It was divided in two days : the first day for the eight matches of the first round and the remaining rounds on the second day.

On the morning of the first day, the streets of Uzushio were unusually animated. Villagers gathered at the stadium's gates and slowly filled it while guests took place in the reserved booths.
The contestants were to arrive by another entrance, climbing up the stairs to reach their attributed tribune. At 9 AM, all were in place, waiting for the beginning of the trial. For this one trial, the period of the four hours before trial applied more for study time than the beginning of the trial itself, as not to start either extremely late or early in the day.

Kurama stood in the arena, the people cheering for her loudly as the contestants and delegations took in the sight.
Jiraiya smirked slightly at the display.

" If she wanted to convey the unwavering support of her village to her, this was probably the best way. Not only did we get to witness how prosperous Uzushio is but now we also see how much the villagers adore Kurama. Even those who believe she manipulates them must realize that their support is all she needs to crush anyone standing their way. A shinobi village cannot stand without its civilian population and that's part of why Konoha is struggling so badly."

The audience had been given the matches list but no one yet knew who would go first so the tension was palpable. Kurama would be the one to draw the first pair and so she first introduced the event.

- Welcome to all of you and thank you for joining us on the finale of the Shinobi Tournament ! This fifth trial will conclude the many hardships our contestants have had to face during the two previous weeks so make sure you encourage them loudly ! All the shinobi you will soon see battling have fiercely defended their right to stand in this arena so expect much spectacle because the strongest will be here. We hope you will enjoy this event and now let's wish good luck to all of them !

A loud cheer accompanied by clapping echoed through the stadium. The noise was pretty stunning, it differed a lot from the secluded trials from before. Kurama was genuinely smiling - for what seemed to be the first time since the beginning of the competition. The expression softened her features a great deal compared to her usual frowns or stern stares.

Kitagawa, the Uzukage's advisor that had been giving a tour for the Kumo nin when they first arrived in the Iron country for the first trial, joined Kurama in the arena and held out a box toward her. She picked a paper from it, unfolding so that her advisor could read it's contents as well. A small smirk passed on her face before she announced for all to hear :

- The first match of the final trial of the Tournament will oppose Uzumaki Tenten... and Uzumaki Kushina.

The cheers that had started to erupt upon Tenten's name being mentioned died down immediately when the second one was announced. It was quite unsettling for such a large crowd to be utterly silent.

Shikamaru smirked to himself as he considered how fitting it was to begin the fifth trial with such a match. It would give the mood for the rest of it, regardless of what happened afterwards.
If Kushina won, the perspective of Konoha being legitimately useful to Uzushio would no longer be dismissible.
If Tenten won, it would engrave in everyone's brain the superiority of Uzushio and legitimate their mistrust of Konoha.
It was purely symbolic as a friendly competition couldn't determine the fate of two villages but it would send a message. Konoha needed a win, desperately. And yet...

And yet none among the rookie nine could deny they wished for Tenten to win. No matter their loyalty to their village, they couldn't support Kushina. And it showed as even when she decided in the arena, the crowd remained silent for her.
The air felt tenser than it had just a few minutes ago and Kurama's serious expression was back. She gazed at the two kunoichi, taking in Kushina's hurt and angry expression and Tenten's determined and threatening one.

Kurama lifted her arm and both kunoichi got into battle stances. She swiftly lowered and it was on :

- Fight !"