Hokage funeral

< I rewatched a lot of videos and the funeral of Sarutobi to get the mood right. It was awful. Such an amazing character... I wanted to say 'enjoy' but clearly that is not how anyone feels about this 😅
Anyway, hope everyone's doing well and take care of your loved ones. >

Naru got up from her bed. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and felt her cheeks' skin itching. Then she remembered. The Sandaime... His face haunted her mind. He was smiling. Why would anyone smile upon dying ? Kurama said that there were things more important than ones life but...
She hadn't even noticed she had taken her shower and eaten her breakfast until she arrived in front of her desk chair. A black attire was laid on it. She put it on and strapped her head band on her left arm tightly.

She stepped outside and looked at the sky : all grey. "Quite fitting..."

She walked over to the main alley leading to the Hokage Tower. Sakura might already be there and if she wasn't, she would be soon. As for Sasuke, he would eventually show up.

As expected, the pinkette was already there, looking depressed. They didn't talk. When Sasuke arrived, he walked past them then stopped. The girls took it as a sign he wanted for the three of them to walk together to the funeral so they quickly caught up with him.

All the shinobi and civilians were gathering at the tower, the former walking up to the roof. All of them settled in front of the coffins, a few feets away from it to leave space for the elders.

Portraits of all the deceased shinobi were exposed here, on their coffins. And in the middle stood Sarutobi Hiruzen's portrait.

At the same time, Kakashi was at the monument for the shinobi heroes. There, he met Yugao, leaving flowers for Hayate. Jiraiya was here too, leaned on one of the wooden posts. The three of them reminisced about those they lost to the war.

At the Hokage Tower, Homura and Koharu then said their prayers and left a white chrysanthemum in front of the coffin.
Then, one after each other, all the shinobi of Konohagakure did the same.

Memories of happy moments brought tears to everyone's eyes. Sakura remembered when she and Ino offered him flowers on a sunny day.
Chôji remembered how the old Kage would chase after Shikamaru and him when they skipped classes.
Sasuke and team 8 remembered his kindness.
As for Naru, what came back to her mind was benevolence.

She gazed at the Hokage monument. She turned toward Iruka. He was still comforting a devastated Konohamaru.

" - Ne, Iruka-sensei... Why do people forfeit their lives for the sake of others ?

- All humans eventually die. But throughout their life, they form bonds, they met people that become precious to them. And they want to protect those people and their future. They become stronger in order to do so. Anyone who was born will have those precious people and will protect them because they love them, no matter what.

- ...I think I understand."

"So that's why he was smiling. Father... Did you feel the same way when you died ?"

Suddenly, a ray of sunshine pierced through the clouds. Everyone started to leave the place but Naru remained on the roof, deep in thought.

"To die to protect your loved ones... I never thought of it that way... It feels wrong to leave everyone you've loved in pain like this but... But truth to be told... I think there are people I would do that for. People I would have done that for. I understand why he did this. Doesn't make it less painful... But at least... At least I have a goal. I will take care of what Jiji entrusted me with. I am a kunoichi of Konohagakure and I will protect my village, its inhabitants and most of all my loved ones !"

All of a sudden, she heard someone call her name. She turned around and saw her team standing on the other end of the roof, Sakura waving at her. Naru smiled and waved back. Maybe she could try... Try to trust them. It wouldn't be easy but that's what the Sandaime would have wanted. She could do him one last favor, couldn't she ?

_______

< Hey ! Naru and Iruka's dialogue might not be very accurate but in my defense, the only video I found with it on YouTube was in japanese/Indonesian sub. So I had to summarize the few I understood in Japanese.
Also, this chapter is kinda short but I wanted it to be a separate chapter rather than mix it with the following events.
Anyways, take care and have a nice day !>